Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Auto Save / Auto recover in Management Studio?

Auto Save / Auto recover in Management Studio?

Author
WILLIAM MITCHELL
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In my case the blog post for Windows 7 was not correct. I found the auto-recover files at

C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Backup Files\Solution1

Aalam Rangi
Aalam Rangi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Thank you! Updated the post now.
arbcoll
arbcoll
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Back to the issue SSC Veteran reported on the second post of this topic, I had the same experience - lost my 2 day work after an autorestart during weekend, caused by Windows Updates ( Angry ). The autosaved files are missing - couldn't find them nowhere in the disk...
Million dollar question is why in a hell autosave doesn't work on Windows Updates restart sometimes?
anders-731262
anders-731262
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)SSC Eights! (999 reputation)

Thanks,
This thread just saved me a couple of hours work. From now on I will CTRL+S more often Smile
/ah
nikimpatel
nikimpatel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Thanks for sharing solution. It's save my work and time.

:-)
ryanm-829779
ryanm-829779
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

You rock! Thank you for sharing Smile
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

anders-731262 (11/9/2012)
Thanks,
This thread just saved me a couple of hours work. From now on I will CTRL+S more often Smile
/ah

I click "save" all the time. Cheap insurance.

SSC_newbie
SSC_newbie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

this tread saved me a whole lot of writing. Thanks
Rob-350472
Rob-350472
Old Hand
Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)Old Hand (329 reputation)

Glad it's still helping people, on a slight side note, I can't recommend SSMS Tool Pack enough for this kind of thing, a colleague fell foul of a rogue restart over the weekend and the auto recover files didn't go back far enough for some reason.

SSMS tools keeps the full log of what's been going on in SSMS, http://www.ssmstoolspack.com/

Well worth taking the 5-10 mins to install and have a play that's for sure BigGrin
Lowell
Lowell
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

arbcoll (10/10/2012)
Back to the issue SSC Veteran reported on the second post of this topic, I had the same experience - lost my 2 day work after an autorestart during weekend, caused by Windows Updates ( Angry ). The autosaved files are missing - couldn't find them nowhere in the disk...
Million dollar question is why in a hell autosave doesn't work on Windows Updates restart sometimes?

Get a copy of the SSMS Tools Pack: http://www.ssmstoolspack.com/

One of it's features is that it saves your SQl history...if you executed a SQL, it keeps a backup copy of it.
This saved my tail several times, where i was overzealous with "X"-ing out windows, and close one i really intended to save.

imagine you did an investigative query weeks ago, and the problem resurfaces again? but you didn't save that preliminary scripts?no problem, instead of starting from scratch, you can go to the history, and find all queries, in a certain date range, that has a string or tablename or object name in it.

I highly recommend it just for that feature alone, let alon it's many other features.

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.