Auto Save / Auto recover in Management Studio?

• Thank you so much, your post completely saved my bacon!!!! :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

• Windows XP and Windows 7 have different locations for the recovered files.You can the OS specific locations at this blog post -
    http://www.sqlerudition.com/recover-unsaved-queries-after-ssms-crash/

• Windows XP and Windows 7 have different locations for the recovered files.

You can the OS specific locations at this blog post[/url].

• Thanks a lot.. 🙂

• Big thank you. your post saved me from lot of trouble this morning.

• In my case the blog post for Windows 7 was not correct. I found the auto-recover files at

C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Backup Files\Solution1

• Thank you! Updated the post now.

• Back to the issue SSC Veteran reported on the second post of this topic, I had the same experience - lost my 2 day work after an autorestart during weekend, caused by Windows Updates ( :angry: ). The autosaved files are missing - couldn't find them nowhere in the disk...

Million dollar question is why in a hell autosave doesn't work on Windows Updates restart sometimes?

• Thanks,

This thread just saved me a couple of hours work. From now on I will CTRL+S more often 🙂

/ah

• Thanks for sharing solution. It's save my work and time.

🙂

• You rock! Thank you for sharing 🙂

• anders-731262 (11/9/2012)

Thanks,

This thread just saved me a couple of hours work. From now on I will CTRL+S more often 🙂

/ah

I click "save" all the time. Cheap insurance.

• this tread saved me a whole lot of writing. Thanks

• Glad it's still helping people, on a slight side note, I can't recommend SSMS Tool Pack enough for this kind of thing, a colleague fell foul of a rogue restart over the weekend and the auto recover files didn't go back far enough for some reason.

SSMS tools keeps the full log of what's been going on in SSMS, http://www.ssmstoolspack.com/

Well worth taking the 5-10 mins to install and have a play that's for sure 😀

• arbcoll (10/10/2012)

Back to the issue SSC Veteran reported on the second post of this topic, I had the same experience - lost my 2 day work after an autorestart during weekend, caused by Windows Updates ( :angry: ). The autosaved files are missing - couldn't find them nowhere in the disk...

Million dollar question is why in a hell autosave doesn't work on Windows Updates restart sometimes?

Get a copy of the SSMS Tools Pack: http://www.ssmstoolspack.com/

One of it's features is that it saves your SQl history...if you executed a SQL, it keeps a backup copy of it.

This saved my tail several times, where i was overzealous with "X"-ing out windows, and close one i really intended to save.

imagine you did an investigative query weeks ago, and the problem resurfaces again? but you didn't save that preliminary scripts?no problem, instead of starting from scratch, you can go to the history, and find all queries, in a certain date range, that has a string or tablename or object name in it.

I highly recommend it just for that feature alone, let alon it's many other features.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply