Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

CTEs and Trees

CTEs and Trees

Author
Frédéric BROUARD
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item CTEs and Trees

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

Great code and explanations, but no test data...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

i want to play with this in detail when i have time, but we had a problem with an app with similar conditions

we have a table with data and need to return it in hierchial fashion. someone wrote and sp years ago that used a while loop and temp tables. i just rewrote it with a CTE and it seems to run a lot faster
Frédéric BROUARD
Frédéric BROUARD
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

I make some tests some years ago with different methods :
-> tree with classic father/son auto reference (in fac my computer file system including the 4 disks I have)
a) using temp table and a store proc to find some files having '%toto%' in the file name
b) using a path stored with the data in a column NAVARCHAR(4000)
c) using interval model
d) using CTE

Interval model was the winner...

alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

what about adding a number column to the master table and using that in your loop?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

Tech_Newbie (6/12/2008)
help please.

I have the following situation:

I want to populate two related tables

Person (PersonID, PersonName, PersonLName)
PersonAddress(PersonAddressID, PersonID, PersonAddr, PersonCity, PersonState, PersonZip, County)

from a table which contains all the data needed

MasterList(PersonName, PersonLName, PersonAddr, PersonCity, PersonState, Personzip, County)

The thing is I am not doing this sequentially, I want to select every 7th person starting from the person in the MasterList table at position 3.

For example:
I have 100 people in the master list

Lets say that I want 30 people to be put into the Persons table and into thier associated address tables.

I want to be able to increment through the MasterList table starting at the person from position 3, and insert every 7th person thereafter into the tables.

If I get to the end of the table and I have not reached my 30 people, I need to loop back around starting at a new position - 2 and then repeat selecting every 7th person from then on out.

Important things:

1. PersonID is an identity, and an auto - incremented value, but within this loop, when I create my entry for Person, I want to turn around and create an entry for PersonAddress, using the newly created PersonID identity value as a foreign key inside of PersonAddress.

How should I write a cte to be able to acomplish this ? Thanks for any assistance provided

Ok... third time's the charm... post your request in the correct forum... you'll get better answers quicker.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.