Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Successful DBA

Successful DBA

Author
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Since I doubt heavily that they are paying you for experience you don't have....learn as fast as you can, learn to be good using the tips above, and THEN look to have your position adjusted.

Sounds to me that someone is trying to get a DBA "on the cheap". A good DBA tends to have a lot of challenges and responsibilities to take on. Once you understand what your real responsibilities are, and how to do them well, and you've proved yourself - don't let yourself be taken advantage of.

In other words - be careful that a short term "opportunity" doesn't turn into a long-term S***ing opportunity of you by the organization....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (6.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Matt Miller (10/26/2007)
In other words - be careful that a short term "opportunity" doesn't turn into a long-term S***ing opportunity of you by the organization....

True, but once a person has legitimate skills and can document experience on a resume, there's a lot of love out there for competent SQL Server DBAs...

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Matt Miller (#4)
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

K. Brian Kelley (10/26/2007)
True, but once a person has legitimate skills and can document experience on a resume, there's a lot of love out there for competent SQL Server DBAs...

Absolutely - Just be aware of your worth (once you ACQUIRE it that is...).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Rudyx - the Doctor
Rudyx - the Doctor
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

... and one more take ... not only do companies 'love' well qualified DBAs ... well qualified DBAs 'love' companies that hire them to fix what unqualified DBAs have done ! Tongue

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Rick Heiges
Rick Heiges
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

Hmmm... Nobody here suggested getting certified. I will leave that for another debate, but if you ask DBAs how they became one, they will respond that they fell into the job. Most came from being a system admin or a developer.

How many people go to school or take classes to be a DBA? Very few... How many people take classes to become a developer or admin? Lots....

Are there other DBAs there? What is your attitude? Are you the type of person who will help out even if it infringes on personal time or other things important to you? Have you developed a network of DBAs (perhaps at the local SQL Server User Group)? Can you demonstrate that you know your limits? Can you demonstrate that you know the resources to go to for tough questions?

vinurajr
vinurajr
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

how can be a lawyer be Perfect?
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

You never said what your job title is or what the job description is, so your comment about "proving yourself as a good DBA" is a little vague.

Post some details about the job you have and we can give you more specific advice, but if you're trying to prove yourself a good DBA and you don't even have access to do proper DBA work, it's going to be a long, uphill battle.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
neotokyo
neotokyo
Old Hand
Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)

unfortunately; by the time you feel like you are getting a successful or near proficient
grasp on the current sql envrironment or material... it will be time for the next release,
and you start all over again.

this is what makes some of the IT industry frustrating, and by that point after spending all
that time in the trenches getting to know this stuff; you are about ready to do something
else.

the caveat is that your so vested in databases that it's easier to drudge through it again
meanwhile griping all the way on how you would like to do something else. possibly not in IT.

catch 22

Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)

just to clear something up... i'm not saying it's a bad life. only that the frustrations
can bring you to that point.

i suppose i'm done with the rant.

SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

If you enjoy it, love it and breath it, then sky's the limit!

Good luck!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.