SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Management Studio with SQL Server 2000

Management Studio with SQL Server 2000

Author
greg_white
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thought the article was helpful, but I am having issues connecting my SQL 2005 Management Studio on my notebook to the SQL2000 server instance on my workstation. I keep getting this error, but "help" link doesn't go anywhere. Any chance you can help me figure this out? Thanks.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

Rob Farley
Rob Farley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)

Greg,

Can you connect to that same server from your client using Enterprise Manager? That error may suggest that the installation of SQL Server may not be letting anyone connect to it from outside the server.

Rob

Rob Farley
LobsterPot Solutions & Adelaide SQL Server User Group
Company: http://www.lobsterpot.com.au
Blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/rob_farley
scott-548393
scott-548393
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi,
I have the same problem as Greg. I am trying to connect to a remote SQL Server 2000 DB from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio and I get the exact same error message. Any ideas??
I can connect using Enterprise Manager so the remote server is fine.

Thanks,

Scott Anderson
Hugo Sanguino
Hugo Sanguino
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

well, i tried to use the SMSS with my SQL SERVER 2000 engine and when i started using the Object Explorer by double click over my Database then Tables, then double click over a given table it shows me this error:

any clue?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.