SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

MCSE Data Platform 2012 and salary

MCSE Data Platform 2012 and salary

Author
Beatrix Kiddo
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This might just be me and my uptight British ways ;-), but I'm not going to disclose my salary. I'm pretty happy with it though.

From my fairly recent experience of job-hunting (in London), having the certification didn't really make any difference. Some employers used it as a quick way to filter out applicants, and it's something that they liked applicants to have, but no more than that. Experience is more important.

One thing that I think does have a bearing on the sorts of salaries you can command is the size of the environments you've been working in, so you'd probably command a bit more money if you have a few years' experience as a DBA in a large investment bank with a complex setup than if you've only ever worked in a small enterprise with just a couple of small databases, even if you ran the whole department on your own.

It's certainly not a bad thing to do to go for the certification, but you may not see much immediate change in your salary because of it, that's all.
xsevensinzx
xsevensinzx
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (8/28/2014)

A lot of stuff is the same, regardless of 2012 or 2008R2 (especially the XML stuff they pester you with on the exams).
There is of course the new stuff, but I believe it's beneficial you learn that as well.
After all, I doubt you will be on 2008R2 for the rest of your career.

If it's almost the same, then it really doesn't matter eh? BigGrin

But seriously, I don't think they offer a lot of the 2012 just yet for the courses I'm taking for free. If they do, I would likely take both just because it's free.
dan-572483
dan-572483
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Someday you may interview for a job in an all SQL 2014 environment, and a SQL 2012 Certification is going to look a lot more relevent than a 2008 Cert.
Ells
Ells
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

I have done the certification and will continue to do so. The reason I do it is that as a freelancer anything that will raise me to the top of the pile of applicants for work is good. I would struggle to prove their is any financial return on investment but do it as part of training and development and partly making me more marketable to clients.
I also take time off to do training and development that I pay for. I also take time off for SQL events that may be free or I may have to pay. None of this is to add to my salary, all of it is to try and get better at what I do and if that adds to me being more 'marketable' then good.

Everybody's position is different. Your value as a permanent employee depends more on your actions than on a piece of paper. However when you look for a new position (permanent or temporary) then that bit of paper may make a difference. However Experience is priceless!

E
w00t
Apologies for long post
Hafizur Rahman
Hafizur Rahman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

I don't think Microsoft have any certification that have any monitory value other than MCM but it has been discontinued.
Hafizur Rahman
Hafizur Rahman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

ALTER_DATABASE (8/27/2014)
Just doing some research,

How many people have received the MCSE Data Platform 2012 and what are your salaries.

I don't think Microsoft have any cert that have monetary value other than MCM which has been discontinued.
SirWittles
SirWittles
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)

I just took (and failed) my 462. I went into it blind just so I could meet the free retake deadline. I got 550 out of a needed 700 (with no prep). A big difference I noticed is that the score report is WAY more broken down than the 461. So I had very detailed info on what was good and what was bad. As for the tests being worthwhile? I don't know. What I do know is that it will give you a great insight to the product and *hopefully* help people (like us) get their foot in the door.
Alan.B
Alan.B
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

No certs, happy with salary. I don't think not having them has hurt me in any way. If you are new and trying to get your foot in the door I would say they help a little.

-- Alan Burstein

Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral
Need to split a string? Try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL 2012+)
Need a pattern-based splitter? Try PatternSplitCM
Need to remove or replace those unwanted characters? Try PatExclude8K and PatReplace8K.

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001
Blackdog
Blackdog
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (123 reputation)

Just my opinion. There are is a good reasons to take an MCSE, however I don' think it 'directly' affects salary.

If you contract you will do a lot more job searching than permanent employees, an MCSE is great to have on your CV to secure a job interview. In fact quite often I see it as required on a job description.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Blackdog (7/16/2015)
In fact quite often I see it as required on a job description.

You do? I have never seen it in my region.
I think certs are great for consultants, because clients need to screen them quickly and certs at least give the impression that the consultant knows something.

But I agree that certs don't influence salary directly.
I didn't notice anything :-D

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.