MCSE Data Platform 2012 and salary

• ALTER_DATABASE (8/27/2014)

Just doing some research,

How many people have received the MCSE Data Platform 2012 and what are your salaries.

I don't think Microsoft have any cert that have monetary value other than MCM which has been discontinued.

• I just took (and failed) my 462. I went into it blind just so I could meet the free retake deadline. I got 550 out of a needed 700 (with no prep). A big difference I noticed is that the score report is WAY more broken down than the 461. So I had very detailed info on what was good and what was bad. As for the tests being worthwhile? I don't know. What I do know is that it will give you a great insight to the product and *hopefully* help people (like us) get their foot in the door.

• No certs, happy with salary. I don't think not having them has hurt me in any way. If you are new and trying to get your foot in the door I would say they help a little.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Just my opinion. There are is a good reasons to take an MCSE, however I don' think it 'directly' affects salary.

If you contract you will do a lot more job searching than permanent employees, an MCSE is great to have on your CV to secure a job interview. In fact quite often I see it as required on a job description.

• Blackdog (7/16/2015)

In fact quite often I see it as required on a job description.

You do? I have never seen it in my region.

I think certs are great for consultants, because clients need to screen them quickly and certs at least give the impression that the consultant knows something.

But I agree that certs don't influence salary directly.

I didn't notice anything 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• @ Koen Verbeeck

Yes I do, I don't think it's a good indicator, but I suppose some agencies/employers use it to separate the wheat from the chaff even if there is some collateral damage.

• I've had two jobs that required an MCSE or MCDBA. In both cases I was working on the cert, and got the job. I completed the MCSE. I didn't complete the MCDBA and after a year told them I didn't have the time to study. They didn't care.

There are companies that use this as a screening mechanism, but I've seen plenty of hiring people ignore it if the candidate has lots of experience.

I think it may or may not affect salary. Too hard to tell, and too dependent on the individual with the cert and the people determining salary. In other words, "it depends."

• There are ways to make it affect your salary. Just suggest its a KPI or objective, take the exams and use it for leverage for more cold hard cash.

But on the whole yes I agree it depends. But it can definitely be used as a tool for persuasion.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply