SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Native C# in Stored Procedures

Native C# in Stored Procedures

Author
davoscollective
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Funny!

Sad really though that they can't at least let you script in .net languages.
I suppose there are some trusted/untrusted code issues to resolve.

Postgres has had extensions for other languages for ages. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/external-pl.html

Perl, Python, Tcl are built in as well as the pl/pgsql language, and others have added support for other languages, all done via a C interface. I'd love to see a bit of Iron Python in SSDT personally. In fact more love from the core visual studio team for database & BI projects generally. Sometimes it just feels like we're the poor cousins. The MDX calculations screen for example, is primitive compared to the level of debugging available to "real" .net projects.

Maybe in SQL Server 2017?
Anders Pedersen
Anders Pedersen
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Good one!

And demonstrates well why articles should be read in their entirety!
curran.davis
curran.davis
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

*Grumble*
Jim_K
Jim_K
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)

Heh,

And for half a second I was thinking, hmm, I might get easier access to regex functions. :-D
samalex
samalex
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I was half way into an email to my other DBA and our Dev's with a link to the article when I double-checked to see if this was an April Fools post, which it was. Glad I saw that before I hit Send.
james_luetkehoelter
james_luetkehoelter
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)

Low blow sir!
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

I almost fell for this one because it actually seems reasonable to allow this.
kjohnson 57199
kjohnson 57199
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Tisk..tisk..twas not funny!!Crying
John A. Babb
John A. Babb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

LOL on the no errors or warnings from compiler Smile This was definitely a developer's prank! Thanks for making the day a bit better.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

I was reading it, thinking what a terrible idea it was, feeling confused about how I had missed rumors of it's potential existence, hoping that it was turned off by default and would require a database or server level option to enable, and then was totally relieved at final reveal.
Satisfied

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.