SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sabbatical

Sabbatical

Author
bruce-717342
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
If there's a trade or craft that you are interested in, find a willing "master" and do an intensive 6 week apprenticeship.
Or, help Habitat for Humanity build one house - or help in 6 different "blitz builds".
Or learn beer brewing.
GWAk
GWAk
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

I'm puzzled by those of us who have, in essence, said 'take a sabbatical so you can learn more work-related stuff.' Blink

Go build houses, Steve... Habitat for Humanity or any other community outreach program would love to have you for a while. And that kind of hard work is DEFINITELY its own reward.
OCTom
OCTom
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

If I had a six week sabbatical, I would take a six week course a local college offers in jazz.

Tom
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Get your ham radio license and build an Elecraft K2: http://www.elecraft.com/k2_page.htm (Also Colorado needs more emergency response folks, take a class.)

Take some chef courses and challenge Sean McCown to a mystery basket cook-off at the next PASS Summit.
David.Lester
David.Lester
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

How about helping out at a local non-profit.
Or one that I have been looking at, volunteering to help teach computer skills to people, say at a shelter, or half-way house.
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I think it's less about what you do and more about what you don't do. Let go of technology for a while and let go of work responsibilities. I spent a summer off and did no one big thing, I relaxed and did more with the kids and enjoyed the luxury of having free time to use as I pleased. Nothing wrong with having a goal or two, but don't make it into a race or something that if you don't get done the break feels like a failure.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Chicky
Chicky
Valued Member
Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)Valued Member (53 reputation)

I think it's awesome that your company is giving you an opportunity to have a sabbatical.

How about crafts, such as sewing, jewelry making, woodworking, etc.? It's even something you could do with your children if they're not too young. I recently took a day off from work to take a pen turning class and I really enjoyed it. Now I have to buy a lathe in order to make more pens...

If I got the opportunity to have a sabbatical, I'd probably do some combination of crafts, learn the trumpet - using my husband's trumpet that has been neglected since grade school, and exercise a lot more.
joseph_c
joseph_c
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (183 reputation)

chrisn-585491 (1/9/2014)
Get your ham radio license and build an Elecraft K2: http://www.elecraft.com/k2_page.htm (Also Colorado needs more emergency response folks, take a class.)

Do this! Ham Radio is something you can enjoy anywhere you go! Smile I would encourage you to learn Morse code while you are at it...

--... ...--
-.- -... --... .--. .--. .-..
Rod
Rod
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)

Congratulations, Steve, the achieving 5 years with Red Gate, and thus being able to take a sabbatical! I've never worked at a company that offers its employees sabbaticals, so I can't advise you. I wish you all the best in figuring out what to do!

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Scott.A.baron
Scott.A.baron
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

Based on your questions, role, and employer, you might want to try something customer facing. You could choose to identify and aggregate groups of database users by some important dimensions. The universe of data base professionals probably lumps together based on specific needs, trends, and business type. It would be helpful to everyone to describe customer sets so your organization could focus it's efforts on important topics.... maybe by segment.

Just a thought.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.