Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Who talks SQL out of work...

Who talks SQL out of work...

Author
lshanahan
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)SSC Veteran (276 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
My wife is generally the "just make it work" kind, also, but a number of years ago she was working in a local government office and decided to create a database in Access to improve some processes which were entirely done manually. I think it had something to do with tracking volunteer applications, assignments and hours and when they were eligible for some rewards like a certificate or a t-shirt and stuff like that.

I got to teach her a bit about database structure and design and some basic SQL when we tweaked some of the queries she had created in the SQL view.

Old Hand
Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)

Sometimes at home I want to talk about something technical I did at work because I’m excited about it or simply because articulating it helps me remember or understand it a little better. Before I start talking however, I give my wife permission to either ignore me or feign polite interest. She’s off the hook and I get it out of my system.
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

george sibbald (10/16/2013)
I avoid it as if I do I get asked to fix their PCs, and I know nothing about them. Trying to explain to the uninitiated that a DBA is something different is impossible.

Exactly! If they know you work in I.T. at all, they think you know everything about all technology. Crazy
Beatrix Kiddo
Beatrix Kiddo
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)SSC Eights! (950 reputation)

Sean Lange (10/17/2013)
SQLBill (10/17/2013)
My wife doesn't want to hear about it. But interestly enough, she goes on and on about her work and expects me to be interested. She really got upset one time when I said 'ok, TMI'. But she does that anytime I start talking about my work. Hmmmmmm.

This is universal from what I can tell. It certainly is the case around my house too. :-P

I am shocked! It's not universal at all. I do a great 'interested face', and I even ask questions. I still have no idea what he does though ;-).
BWFC
BWFC
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

OCTom (10/18/2013)
george sibbald (10/16/2013)
I avoid it as if I do I get asked to fix their PCs, and I know nothing about them. Trying to explain to the uninitiated that a DBA is something different is impossible.

Exactly! If they know you work in I.T. at all, they think you know everything about all technology. Crazy

And I bet I'm not the only one who's getting tired of the hilarious question 'do you just tell people to switch it off and on again?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Sqlraider
Sqlraider
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

For the most part I don't. I save that for work and this forum...:-)
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

My wife thinks what I do is the most boring thing in the world. But, sometimes, I still have to share with her, so, I explain all the concepts that I'm going over in ways she can understand. Funny enough, it gives me great material to work with for writing and presenting. Because, if I can explain it all to her, I can explain it to anyone. It's really useful. Makes her a little crazy, but I make sure she's prepped ahead of time.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
blasto_max
blasto_max
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)

SQLBill (10/17/2013)
My wife doesn't want to hear about it. But interestly enough, she goes on and on about her work and expects me to be interested. She really got upset one time when I said 'ok, TMI'. But she does that anytime I start talking about my work. Hmmmmmm.

-SQLBill

That's the part I never get w00t
BWFC
BWFC
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

blasto_max (10/21/2013)
SQLBill (10/17/2013)

-SQLBill

That's the part I never get w00t

+ 1. My wife's a teacher, I get to hear all about her day but the moment I mention an interesting problem I'm working on I see the lights go out.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.