SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Planning Disk and File layout

Planning Disk and File layout

Author
Kwisatz78
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all

We are looking to migrate from a busy datawarehouse server to a new server and I have been tasked with ensuring the database files are all on appropriate disks that are yet to be determined.

I am thinking about capturing IO using sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats to work out those files most heavily used, and also bench marking the new disks with SQLIO and working out from there the appropriate file to disk lay out.

What do people think of my approach, does anyone have any tips for doing this?

Many thanks

P.S. I know we should probably be bench marking our servers in the first place and this is the start of that exercise.
s_osborne2
s_osborne2
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)SSC Eights! (997 reputation)

That's probably the route I'd go down. Would also be interested in other approaches if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSE: Data Platform
MCSE: Business Intelligence
Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne
Modest DBA
Modest DBA
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

First question to ask yourself during data warehousing (talking from my own experience here)...
How strong is your server? Then, look at your disk speeds and set-up of your disk array.
remember a fully populated array works faster than a half full array. Also separate your dimension loads and fact loads.
I personally had an increase of around 60% odd but simply playing with these variables Smile
Looking at loading stats for me did not help, cause we all know...every server has its own demons Smile
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.