SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Throttle a Query in Mid-Execution

Throttle a Query in Mid-Execution

Author
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/1/2013)
Glad you like it.

I was curious how many might actually read the whole thing and not skip over my disclaimer sentence.

Oops...
Exposed. Sad

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Hugo Kornelis (4/1/2013)
I was disappointed when the text of the editorial frankly admitted it being an April Fools prank. There goes the chance to read the comments of those who fell for it.
This one is a lot better. I almost believed it, until I saw the syntax of the DBCC TRACEON command.

Yeah, I couldn't decide if I should reveal the joke or not. It's backfired both ways in the past, so I was hoping I might get some people that didn't read closely. Looking at the editorial comments, I think I got one.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
jack-311987
jack-311987
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

what if you enable trace flag 708, and use the (noaprilfool) hint
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

jack-311987 (4/1/2013)

The universe implodes. Please don't try it.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (10K reputation)

GilaMonster (4/1/2013)
jack-311987 (4/1/2013)

The universe implodes. Please don't try it.

Oh shoot, I hope I can go stop my run of that now!

Does it take long before the universe starts imploding from running that?
Mary Kay Malensek
Mary Kay Malensek
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

You got me. That was fun! :-D
Anil N
Anil N
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Darn shame that this feature came out on April 1st.

We did not get what we wanted in the Resource Governor, so we had to implement our own tools to kill a query once it has run more than x amount of time or has an open transaction for more than y amount of time. This works all 365 days of the year!

I wish SQL Server had a SQL Judge, Jury and Cop rolled-into-one feature which would summarily execute a query once it has used up more than a set of defined resources. Very, very useful and needed for a live application that needs to be UP all the time without DBAs having to get paged.

Ed B
Ed B
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

anil.nair@gtnexus.com (4/1/2013)

I wish SQL Server had a SQL Judge, Jury and Cop rolled-into-one feature which would summarily execute a user once it has used up more than a set of defined resources

Fixed it for you.
Gabriel P
Gabriel P
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

I was patting myself on the back for not having fallen for any jokes on April Fools day this year...then I read your article a day after it was written Crazy
david.wright-948385
david.wright-948385
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

One for the wibni list :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.