SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transactions

Transactions

Author
Lokesh Vij
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transactions

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question
Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com

Follow me @Twitter

bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Nice easy question - thanks

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

I shouldn't try to answer the QOTD when I have been working for 15 hours. Nice question Lokesh!
Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

A little attempt from me to make "DDL inside transactions" more informative. Hope you all like it Smile

http://sqlpathy.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/myth-truncate-cannot-rollback/

~ Lokesh Vij

Follow me @Twitter

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)

Nice question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Really very good information. Keep it up !

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

A good question; thanks!

However, I did find myself staring at the wording for a bit before answering - and hoping that my interpretation was the correct one. The term "failing" can be ambiguous. Some people might argue that "failing" also includes running without error but not rolling back changes on a rollback. And I even considered the possibility that the question was phrased by a non-native speaker who intended to ask which code fragments would have a permanent effect (e.g. the rollback would not affect the DDL statement).
Maybe a better way to phrase this would have been to ask "which fragments run without generating an error".

PS: The above is not meant to criticize, but to help Lokesh and other question authors think about possible ambiguity when submitting future QotD's.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Interesting one.:-) thank you Lokesh-ji

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
SSCarpal Tunnel

Hugo Kornelis (9/25/2012)
A good question; thanks!

However, I did find myself staring at the wording for a bit before answering - and hoping that my interpretation was the correct one. The term "failing" can be ambiguous. Some people might argue that "failing" also includes running without error but not rolling back changes on a rollback. And I even considered the possibility that the question was phrased by a non-native speaker who intended to ask which code fragments would have a permanent effect (e.g. the rollback would not affect the DDL statement).
Maybe a better way to phrase this would have been to ask "which fragments run without generating an error".

PS: The above is not meant to criticize, but to help Lokesh and other question authors think about possible ambiguity when submitting future QotD's.

Thanks Hugo. Much appreciated :-)

~ Lokesh Vij

Follow me @Twitter

demonfox
demonfox
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

nice and easy ...
I must say i like the permutation ..I had to search the answer within multiple options ..

Thanks for the question !!

~ demonfox

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.