SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

An Is Null Gotcha

An Is Null Gotcha

Author
David.Poole
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/anisnullgot

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Hamish McCreight-154771
Hamish McCreight-154771
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Experience suggests...if user says data is being truncated ,first check the size of any fields (or intermediate fields) used to store that data.
Regards
HMC
Scott Hall
Scott Hall
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)SSC Journeyman (84 reputation)

That's not a gotcha, that's a "Man you wasted valuable development hours to figure that out!"
Antares686
Antares686
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators

Title should have read IsNull and not Is Null. However interesting effect as you found out.

Example.

declare @x varchar(5)

select isnull(@x,'1234567890')

From BOL

Arguments

check_expression

Is the expression to be checked for NULL. check_expression can be of any type.

replacement_value

Is the expression to be returned if check_expression is NULL. replacement_value must have the same type as check_expresssion.

Keep in mind type is not varchar but the varchar(5). Many folks forget that.

noeld
noeld
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Thank you very much for your leg work it is something difficult to spot and definitely will go into my bag of "check before release"

* Noel
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Nice work writing that up. I can see that saving me a headache one day.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

If you look on the Microsoft SQL Server site you will see that there is a books on-line update dated January 2004.

You can tell if you need the update by looking at the documentation for the sp_addlogin stored procedure.

If example E for copying passwords says

CONVERT(VARBINARY(32),[Password])

instead of

CONVERT(VARBINARY(256),[Password])

then you need to update BOL.

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
MacroTrenz Consulting
MacroTrenz Consulting
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (135 reputation)

excellent article . . . both for the "gotcha" and as a reminder to do your homework . . . lookup "Using Data Types" in bol. type AND length are specified as two of the four attributes of a data type assignment.

Mike Good
Mike Good
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)

I enjoyed this article, good description of problem solving exercise.

But I don't think the title or any focus on isnull() is right.

Assume some other function was used instead of isnull--maybe upper() for the sake of argument. Still would have had same problem with truncation. The problem was with variable declaration & fact that escaping process expanded size of string.

I've seen more problems related to isnull() or lack of it than almost any other single area, but this is not one of them.

Dan Sydner
Dan Sydner
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Isn't Coalesce preferred over IsNull, being ansi standard and all? You wouldn't have had this problem anyway...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.