SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

script to set all user database to simple recovery model

script to set all user database to simple recovery model

Author
ravishankar.yedoti
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
get me a script to set all user database to simple recovery model

i tried the below......... it is changing for system databases also

exec sp_msforeachdb 'alter database ? set recovery simple'
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

just a day or so ago someone asked for the same thing;
see this topic for the discussion and a working solution:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1162705.aspx

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
Todd Erickson
Todd Erickson
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

I really liked that script, but, being an efficiency fanatic, I thought I would improve it just a little. Instead of building the SQL statement and then using replace to alter it, my version just builds the correct sql statement the first time. Here it is:

USE MASTER
declare
@isql varchar(2000),
@dbname varchar(64),
@logfile varchar(128)

declare c1 cursor for
SELECT d.name, mf.name as logfile--, physical_name AS current_file_location, size
FROM sys.master_files mf
inner join sys.databases d
on mf.database_id = d.database_id
where recovery_model_desc <> 'SIMPLE'
and d.name not in ('master','model','msdb','tempdb')
and mf.type_desc = 'LOG'
open c1
fetch next from c1 into @dbname, @logfile
While @@fetch_status <> -1
begin
select @isql = 'ALTER DATABASE ' + @dbname + ' SET RECOVERY SIMPLE'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)
select @isql='USE ' + @dbname + ' checkpoint'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)
select @isql='USE ' + @dbname + ' DBCC SHRINKFILE (' + @logfile + ', 1)'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)

end
close c1
deallocate c1

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Todd Erickson (1/8/2014)
I really liked that script, but, being an efficiency fanatic, I thought I would improve it just a little. Instead of building the SQL statement and then using replace to alter it, my version just builds the correct sql statement the first time. Here it is:

USE MASTER
declare
@isql varchar(2000),
@dbname varchar(64),
@logfile varchar(128)

declare c1 cursor for
SELECT d.name, mf.name as logfile--, physical_name AS current_file_location, size
FROM sys.master_files mf
inner join sys.databases d
on mf.database_id = d.database_id
where recovery_model_desc <> 'SIMPLE'
and d.name not in ('master','model','msdb','tempdb')
and mf.type_desc = 'LOG'
open c1
While @@fetch_status <> -1
begin
select @isql = 'ALTER DATABASE ' + @dbname + ' SET RECOVERY SIMPLE'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)
select @isql='USE ' + @dbname + ' checkpoint'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)
select @isql='USE ' + @dbname + ' DBCC SHRINKFILE (' + @logfile + ', 1)'
print @isql
--exec(@isql)

end
close c1
deallocate c1

I'd have to test it but I don't believe that all those concatenations will necessarily be more efficient.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

if you want to keep it simple and just change recovery model for all user databases run this, copy results to another window and run

select 'alter database ['+name+'] set recovery simple' from master.sys.databases where database_id > 4 and state_desc = 'online'

avoid ms_foreachdb, use cursors (there i said it on a thread with Jeff on it). ms_foreachdb creates a cursor in the background anyway, its unsupported, difficult soon as you want to skip some databases, and has been shown to skip databases in error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

george sibbald (1/8/2014)
if you want to keep it simple and just change recovery model for all user databases run this, copy results to another window and run

select 'alter database ['+name+'] set recovery simple' from master.sys.databases where database_id > 4 and state_desc = 'online'

avoid ms_foreachdb, use cursors (there i said it on a thread with Jeff on it). ms_foreachdb creates a cursor in the background anyway, its unsupported, difficult soon as you want to skip some databases, and has been shown to skip databases in error.

Just to be sure, I don't object to cursors for this type of thing (even if they are unnecessarily complicated for such a thing). ;-)

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

I know, I just couldn't resist it ! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
marina-r
marina-r
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)

Thank you! Very useful
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

george sibbald (1/8/2014)
I know, I just couldn't resist it ! ;-)

BWAAA-HAAAA! True sign of being retired. :-) Do everything as simple as possible. I love it. Thanks, George.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
phoenixrising1599
phoenixrising1599
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)

We do not want to generate a line for databases that are already in simple recovery mode. Add an 'OR' statement if you use bulk_logged
select 'alter database ['+name+'] set recovery simple' from master.sys.databases where database_id > 4 and state_desc = 'online' AND recovery_model_desc = 'full;'

I use your script all the time and have to add that AND recovery_model_desc = 'Full;' part so I thought others might like the addition.

'nix
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.