SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Finding lost or forgotten SQL Servers

Finding lost or forgotten SQL Servers

Author
SQLHeap
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Finding lost or forgotten SQL Servers

There is an exception to every rule, except this one...
a648
a648
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)

I'd have started with a cmd window and
sqlcmd -L

but that's an interesting technique, thanks :-)
AverageDBA
AverageDBA
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

a648 (4/19/2011)
I'd have started with a cmd window and
sqlcmd -L

but that's an interesting technique, thanks :-)

But this article is about finding instances regardless of whether SQL Browser is running...
Geoff A
Geoff A
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

nice article. I like the ability to schedule the scan with the agent. Will be very helpful @ my current employer. Thanks.
michael.eklof
michael.eklof
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

Great example, I will try it out, since I am also interested in findning computers where SQL Server is installed but stopped.

However, since you are using 'NET VIEW' to list computers, you will only see the computers on the same subnet as the computer you are running the script, right? (At least that is the way it works for me, I don't know if it is a configuration issue with broadcasting, I get the same result with SQLCMD -L). A way to get computers from separate subnets would be to query the AD, for example like this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2006/11/09/how-can-i-use-windows-powershell-to-get-a-list-of-all-my-computers.aspx

magasvs
magasvs
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

I have been using SQLPing for years (http://sqlsecurity.com/Tools/FreeTools/tabid/65/Default.aspx), but this method is also interesting.
SQLHeap
SQLHeap
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

The last script builds a job that executes every Monday at 9am :-)

Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

I like the script. The one thing I don't like is that you also get computers that have services like the "SQL Server VSS Writer".

My blog

SQLHeap
SQLHeap
SSCommitted

@michael.eklof -- This script pulls in all server names across all domains for me, please let me know if this is not the case for you.

Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
Ignacio A. Salom Rangel
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

What Michael said is true, Servers on another VLAN will not be included.

My blog

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.