Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Litespeed Vs Native Backup?

Litespeed Vs Native Backup?

Author
luckysql.kinda
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We have upto 1TB DBs in our environment and total size of all the backups reach upto 48TB. Any heads up whether Litespeed is still better than Native with compression?

-Lucky
crazy4sql
crazy4sql
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

both have the different compression algorithm. And I personally prefer litespeed.

----------
Ashish
MichaelJasson
MichaelJasson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)

Comparison between Litespeed Backup and Native Backup Compression

-Michael

-MJ
Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.
luckysql.kinda
luckysql.kinda
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)SSChasing Mays (608 reputation)

Thanks for the post, Michael.

-lucky
anuraganu.tiwari
anuraganu.tiwari
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Thanks Michaeljasson
Satish-219904
Satish-219904
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

I prefer LiteSpeed over SQL native compression. I have been using this for couple of my projects. LiteSpeed provides various compressions levels to use. I went with default which is 1. It saves little over 80% in terms of disk space. LiteSpeed also has integrated Log Shipping in case if you need and also lot of other features. Good Luck.

Thanks,
Satish
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

Interesting reading.. But at ~$1500/server I don't think I could stomache it for any but the most obscenely large database servers.

The smaller backup files than native with compression is nice but only a partial justification for purchase.

For SQL 2005 I would be a bit more open, but the price is still a deterent..

CEWII
JeremyE
JeremyE
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

A big win for Litespeed is the ability to do object level restores. Restoring a single table or proc is much easier than restoring an entire TB sized database and extracting the single table.
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

JeremyE (1/7/2011)
A big win for Litespeed is the ability to do object level restores. Restoring a single table or proc is much easier than restoring an entire TB sized database and extracting the single table.
As far as single table, I'll give you that.. Out hosts Red-Gate has a tool that lets you mount the backup like a database and access it directly, very cool..

As far a sproc restore, I'm taking the position that if you have to go to the backup to get source code, that code control is likely an issue in your organization. The database is a recipient of the code not a storage location.. Sorry..

CEWII
JeremyE
JeremyE
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Elliott Whitlow (1/7/2011)
[quote]
As far a sproc restore, I'm taking the position that if you have to go to the backup to get source code, that code control is likely an issue in your organization. The database is a recipient of the code not a storage location.. Sorry..

CEWII

No reason to be sorry. I was merely highlighting the feature set and differences between Litepseed backups and compressed native SQL backups.

If you don't need object level restore, variable compression, or want to pay $1500/server then compressed native SQL backups will work just as well.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.