SQLServerCentral

Mathematics/Algorithms in SQL

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1838601.aspx

By karthik M - Monday, November 28, 2016 8:36 PM

All,

I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.
By GilaMonster - Monday, November 28, 2016 8:54 PM

Such as?
Asking because I'm not sure I understand what you're after.
By TomThomson - Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:59 AM

Ar you asking about the underlying mathematics behind the relational model? If so, you could look for papers writen by Ted Codd in the early to mid 1970s. You may find that you have to pay to get copies of some of them.
By Eric M Russell - Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:49 AM

For the concepts of relational algebra that underly SQL, here is an overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_algebra

The mathematical operators and functions included in the T-SQL language are quite basic.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187716.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177516.aspx
By Jeff Moden - Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:03 AM

OR... are you looking for things like why you might want to use Integer math, how to do things with dates and times, how to compare two differently partitioned ROW_NUMBER() results to identify overlapping events, the math behind quickly building high performance nested sets instead of using loops or recursion, why automatic conversions to decimal datatypes can suck, etc, etc?

In other words, what the hell does "all" mean in your original post? ;-)
By Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:03 AM

karthik M - Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:36 AM
All,I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.

Dude! It's been over a year since you posted this request... can you at least take the time to read the responses and provide some feedback?
By HappyGeek - Monday, December 4, 2017 4:19 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 10:03 AM
All,I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.

Dude! It's been over a year since you posted this request... can you at least take the time to read the responses and provide some feedback?

Looks like an interesting question, would like to see feedback on what the OP wanted.
By Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 7:49 AM

HappyGeek - Monday, December 4, 2017 11:19 AM

Looks like an interesting question, would like to see feedback on what the OP wanted.

Precisely.
By Alan.B - Monday, December 4, 2017 8:07 AM

I know that this is an old question bumped back up to the front of the line but I agree that it's an important one.

My two cents. With respect to the "mathematics concepts" I'd say to start with
Set Theory and The Relational Model.
By drew.allen - Monday, December 4, 2017 8:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 2:49 PM

Precisely.

He hasn't been active in four months, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Drew
By Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 9:36 AM

drew.allen - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:23 PM
Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 2:49 PM

Precisely.

He hasn't been active in four months, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Drew

Heh... too bad... I was hoping to hold HIS breath. Wink Pork chops, anyone? Wink
By Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 10:17 AM

Alan.B - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:07 PM
I know that this is an old question bumped back up to the front of the line but I agree that it's an important one.

Heh... we should definitely do one on "Tuples" as they relate to "Set Theory"... maybe Microsoft will take the hint and finally add an "element ordinal" to the String_Split function.

As for "Relational Model", I'm just happy there are some people out there that know how to get the current date and time using -T-SQL. Wink
By ChrisM@Work - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:49 PM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:17 PM

Heh... we should definitely do one on "Tuples" as they relate to "Set Theory"... maybe Microsoft will take the hint and finally add an "element ordinal" to the String_Split function.

As for "Relational Model", I'm just happy there are some people out there that know how to get the current date and time using -T-SQL. Wink

The "Relational Model" - which Airfix kit to give to which nephew at Christmas??
By Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 11:19 PM

ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:49 AM
Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:17 PM

The "Relational Model" - which Airfix kit to give to which nephew at Christmas??

The answer is "none". Keep them for yourself... they're fun to build. Wink If they know the GETDATE() question, buy them a laptop instead. Wink
By Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:05 AM

Since we're already derailing...

How many people have seen the James May Toy Stories where they build Airfix?

If not, you should. It's fantastic. I think it's available on Hulu right now (or Netflix, but I'm pretty sure it's Hulu).
By Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:27 AM

I think the various suggestions posted are all likely good questions to think about writing about. If anyone wants to tackle any of them