SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Author
Brandie Tarvin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I remember the one time it snowed in South Carolina when I lived there. Only about 2 inches. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, on the road as I drove to work. I had keys to the workplace, so let myself in, turned off the alarm, logged into all the systems and waited. No customers, no co-workers. No one until about 90 minutes later (who came in looking for snow plows of all things). Finally, about 2.5 hours later, the boss comes in and everyone else straggles in AFTER the snow had melted.

Boss wanted to know what I was doing in so early. Me, I wanted to know what was so bad about 2 inches of snow that no one could make it in on time.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:32 PM

Heh... I find that some don't even know how to drive on bare asphalt in the summer.

/Me thinks about driving the Southfield during rush hour, breaks into a cold sweat...

jasona.work
jasona.work
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:42 PM
I remember the one time it snowed in South Carolina when I lived there. Only about 2 inches. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, on the road as I drove to work. I had keys to the workplace, so let myself in, turned off the alarm, logged into all the systems and waited. No customers, no co-workers. No one until about 90 minutes later (who came in looking for snow plows of all things). Finally, about 2.5 hours later, the boss comes in and everyone else straggles in AFTER the snow had melted.

Boss wanted to know what I was doing in so early. Me, I wanted to know what was so bad about 2 inches of snow that no one could make it in on time.

Even better then would have been if you drove some sort of sports car.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)SSC Guru (545K reputation)

If it ever snowed in JHB and the snow didn't melt at the first touch of sun, I would not venture out until it had melted.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)

ChrisM@Work - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:11 AM
Just spent a business day prototyping a partition-switch mechanism to improve the performance of a weekly data feed of 50M rows into a 12,000,000,000 row table. It takes ten hours. Most of this time is rebuilding the indexes, which they disable before the load. The process duration of the new mechanism is under ten minutes, two minutes of which is rebuilding the indexes in the switch table.
"Do you want some help implementing this?" "No thanks. It happens on Saturdays. We'll get around to it."
The existing process has failed for the last four Saturdays, io timeouts.
I'll get me coat.

Chris, that sounds like it could be very interesting. Are you going to write an article on it?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)SSC Guru (155K reputation)

jasona.work - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:55 PM

Heh... I find that some don't even know how to drive on bare asphalt in the summer.

/Me thinks about driving the Southfield during rush hour, breaks into a cold sweat...

Yeah, you should. I drive Telegraph and I'm sure today isn't going to be pleasant.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

Chris Harshman - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:12 AM
grant@scarydba.com - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:52 AM
Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:19 AM
Does anyone feel sorry for me yet?

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USFL0228:1:US

Bridges are supposed to start freezing sometime soon.

Nope:
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USMA0429:1:US

hey, high temperature here is going to be single digits next few days, I don't want to hear it LOL Tongue
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USOH0195:1:US

Yeah, we've "warmed up".

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
ChrisM@home
ChrisM@home
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:18 PM
ChrisM@Work - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:11 AM
Just spent a business day prototyping a partition-switch mechanism to improve the performance of a weekly data feed of 50M rows into a 12,000,000,000 row table. It takes ten hours. Most of this time is rebuilding the indexes, which they disable before the load. The process duration of the new mechanism is under ten minutes, two minutes of which is rebuilding the indexes in the switch table.
"Do you want some help implementing this?" "No thanks. It happens on Saturdays. We'll get around to it."
The existing process has failed for the last four Saturdays, io timeouts.
I'll get me coat.

Chris, that sounds like it could be very interesting. Are you going to write an article on it?

Ed, you know very well I prefer walking around the office naked to writing articles! It's very well documented online already. I'm not sure I'd have anything of note to add. Except perhaps, having everything in one place.
Like around 20% of the IT workforce here I'll be redundant at the end of next month. Lack of time won't be an excuse then.

Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this.

Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)

jasona.work - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:56 PM

Even better then would have been if you drove some sort of sports car.

I commuted from Colorado Springs to Denver for 15 years. At my first employer, a 90 mile one way drive, I drove in during a snow storm (coming over Monument Hill ) to be greeted by my boss with the comment "What are you doing here?" to which I replied "I work here." His follow-up response was "there were people who lived in Denver calling in that they couldn't make it to work." I told him to call them back and tell them if I could make it they can make it.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSC-Insane

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:25 PM
jasona.work - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:55 PM

Yeah, you should. I drive Telegraph and I'm sure today isn't going to be pleasant.

I'll be honest, I don't drive the Southfield, thankfully it's not anywhere on my route to work. I *have* had to drive it in the past, even when it's not rush hour it's bad...

With this weather?
The Southfield is going to be a madhouse, Telegraph probably won't be far behind.
I just hope Van Dyke isn't too crazy.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.