SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Are the posted questions getting worse?

Author
Steve Hall
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thom A - Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:24 AM
That's a handy little node Microsoft have added to SSMS (17.3). They've put "XE profiler" at the bottom of the objects for a serve. Effectively does the job of profiler via Extended Events (but, obviously isn't using profiler). A nice little feature, and much easier to use than having to create an Extended Events for something you don't already have set up (and don't need long term so remove afterwards).

It is nice but there are a few bugs, which is a pity because I don't believe it was a major technical challenge to add it.

Steve Hall
Linkedin
Blog Site
Thom A
Thom A
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

BrainDonor - Friday, October 13, 2017 12:56 AM
That's a handy little node Microsoft have added to SSMS (17.3). They've put "XE profiler" at the bottom of the objects for a serve. Effectively does the job of profiler via Extended Events (but, obviously isn't using profiler). A nice little feature, and much easier to use than having to create an Extended Events for something you don't already have set up (and don't need long term so remove afterwards).

It is nice but there are a few bugs, which is a pity because I don't believe it was a major technical challenge to add it.

Mmm, after a bit more investigation, noticed that there is no option to filter on Username, only nt_username. As we have SQL Authentication enabled, not that helpful... D'oh!

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

Very interesting - thanks Thom!

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Thomas Rushton
Thomas Rushton
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)

Group: Moderators

There are a few other gotchas with SSMS 17.3 - particularly with its now-non-support of SQL2005's Agent tasks (I know, I know...) So don't get rid of SSMS2014 just yet!

Thom A
Thom A
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

ThomasRushton - Friday, October 13, 2017 2:27 AM

There are a few other gotchas with SSMS 17.3 - particularly with its now-non-support of SQL2005's Agent tasks (I know, I know...) So don't get rid of SSMS2014 just yet!

True, but at least the product does say it only supports currently supported versions of SQL Server (2008-2017) Wink

Thom~
Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does :-P

Please always remember to encapsulate your code in IFCode Markup. For example [code=sql] [/code].
Click here to read Jeffs Guide on how to post SQL questions, and get swift and helpful answers from the community
Thomas Rushton
Thomas Rushton
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 4:42 AM

True, but at least the product does say it only supports currently supported versions of SQL Server (2008-2017) Wink

Also true, and I knew that before I went in. "But it was working before"... Laugh

Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)SSC Guru (78K reputation)

AFAIK SSMS 2016 works with 2005, I don't have any 2005 servers around to check though, so...

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)

ThomasRushton - Friday, October 13, 2017 5:22 AM
Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 4:42 AM

Also true, and I knew that before I went in. "But it was working before"... Laugh

If anyone knows, I'm curious if SQL 2017 will restore a SQL 2005 database from backup.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)SSC Guru (109K reputation)

Jack Corbett - Friday, October 13, 2017 6:48 AM

AFAIK SSMS 2016 works with 2005, I don't have any 2005 servers around to check though, so...

SSMS 2016 does work with SQL 2005. I still have one I have to support.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Michael L John
Michael L John
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)

Ed Wagner - Friday, October 13, 2017 6:56 AM
Jack Corbett - Friday, October 13, 2017 6:48 AM

SSMS 2016 does work with SQL 2005. I still have one I have to support.

SSMS 2017 is working fine with 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, and 20126. Yes, I still have to support all of them!

Michael L John
If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
To properly post on a forum:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.