SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Lack of Memory

Lack of Memory

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)SSC Guru (628K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Lack of Memory

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I wonder why there's always the justification that developers are expensive when it is they that wrote the code that's causing the problem. Having them write the same crap code faster is a totally losing battle.

If you want to do something right, train the developers to write better code, and then make their jobs (and their managers' jobs) depend on it.

As soon as you've accomplished such a thing, you'll find that the cost of developers will actually drop a lot compared to their throughput which no longer requires either functional or performance rework.

Like the old saying goes... "What if we train our developers and they leave"? Better question... "What happens if we don't and they stay?" Wink

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 318 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)

One of the things end users can do is baseline their applications.
Rod Falanga
Rod Falanga
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:07 PM
I wonder why there's always the justification that developers are expensive when it is they that wrote the code that's causing the problem. Having them write the same crap code faster is a totally losing battle.

If you want to do something right, train the developers to write better code, and then make their jobs (and their managers' jobs) depend on it.

As soon as you've accomplished such a thing, you'll find that the cost of developers will actually drop a lot compared to their throughput which no longer requires either functional or performance rework.

Like the old saying goes... "What if we train our developers and they leave"? Better question... "What happens if we don't and they stay?" Wink

Not every business allows for training. Where I work they haven't done any training in decades, or so I'm told. I'm sure where I work isn't the only place that's like this.

Rod
ZZartin
ZZartin
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

I always find it mind boggling that companies are willing to pay 7 figure software licensing costs but then get stingy about a few hundred dollars worth of RAM.
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

ZZartin - Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:47 AM
I always find it mind boggling that companies are willing to pay 7 figure software licensing costs but then get stingy about a few hundred dollars worth of RAM.

Pretty sure we paid a LOT (i.e. 6 or 7 figures worth last year) to add more RAM arrays to our virtualization platforms to meet the escalating RAM requirements, so letting processes just run wild now means the process gets kicked back for review by DBA's and senior devs.

Probably would be nice to have those checks up front (i.e. before we first crash the server!!!!), but hey - at least we now have the check in place BigGrin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)SSC Guru (907K reputation)

robert.sterbal 56890 - Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:20 AM
One of the things end users can do is baseline their applications.

Baselines alone won't work. I've helped several companies that had baselines... their baselines totally sucked but they didn't think so... at least not at the start. A common phrase has been akin to "Well of course our CPU and disk system is busy and we need a ton of TempDB... it's doing work against several million rows". Can't blame them, though... People just don't know what they don't know.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

When you put the right degree of spin on it, the number 318 is also a glyph that describes the nature of a DBAs job. Wink

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

Doctor Who 2 - Thursday, January 3, 2019 9:03 AM
Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:07 PM

Not every business allows for training. Where I work they haven't done any training in decades, or so I'm told. I'm sure where I work isn't the only place that's like this.

I can guarantee that the place you work isn't the only place like that. The training that I'm talking about comes from the DBA during design reviews and peer reviews. Of course, there are a whole lot of places that don't do either one of those... and it usually shows, especially on forums like SSC.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)

I also find it mind boggling that the people selling the 7 figure licensing deals can't give you solid specs on how what platform to put it on.

ZZartin
ZZartin
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

robert.sterbal 56890 - Friday, January 4, 2019 8:44 AM

I also find it mind boggling that the people selling the 7 figure licensing deals can't give you solid specs on how what platform to put it on.

Because the answer is usually it depends on what you're doing with the software. Sometimes you need certain features but not necessarily super hardware to run it.

I'm talking about companies that will gladly pay the licensing but then for some reason not be willing to pay for the hardware when it's actually needed.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.