SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Why can't I paste SQL code into a post???

Why can't I paste SQL code into a post???

Author
Rod
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've just spent 20 minutes preparing a new post in the SQL 2008 forum. It took me that long to get to the point where I could post the DDL description of a table, so that people would know what I was talking about. I put in the SQL Code statements necessary for the DDL code. I put in a blank space between the opening and closing tags for the SQL code snippet. Went back to SSMS to generate the CREATE TABLE command, put the cursor back on that line between the opening and closing tags, then I did a Ctrl-V to paste the code. But then

BAMB!!!

The editor for this website's forums just blew me out of the water, sent me straight to the home page of the forums and basically lost 20 minutes of my time! Why does this website do that???

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Rod at work - Friday, February 9, 2018 11:17 AM
I've just spent 20 minutes preparing a new post in the SQL 2008 forum. It took me that long to get to the point where I could post the DDL description of a table, so that people would know what I was talking about. I put in the SQL Code statements necessary for the DDL code. I put in a blank space between the opening and closing tags for the SQL code snippet. Went back to SSMS to generate the CREATE TABLE command, put the cursor back on that line between the opening and closing tags, then I did a Ctrl-V to paste the code. But then

BAMB!!!

The editor for this website's forums just blew me out of the water, sent me straight to the home page of the forums and basically lost 20 minutes of my time! Why does this website do that???

That'll teach you. Time for an upgrade to a more recent version of SQL Server, which should fix this stuff Laugh

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
HappyGeek
HappyGeek
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

It is an inner secret; at best, anything you may post looks crap: Try copying and re pasting! It just makes it worse with each iteration. For some odd reason I do not think that postings on here are influenced by what version of SQL Server you have installed on some remote server you may not be connected to. I sympathise and hope that someone can offer a solution!? NB writing this I got the ome page twice!!

Chris Harshman
Chris Harshman
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

I tend to paste everything into Notepad and then copy and paste it into the forums from there. I've seen it do strange things even if I'm copying and pasting from this website back into this website. Hehe
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

HappyGeek - Friday, February 9, 2018 12:53 PM
For some odd reason I do not think that postings on here are influenced by what version of SQL Server you have installed on some remote server you may not be connected to.

You know I was joking, right?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

Phil Parkin - Friday, February 9, 2018 2:02 PM
HappyGeek - Friday, February 9, 2018 12:53 PM
For some odd reason I do not think that postings on here are influenced by what version of SQL Server you have installed on some remote server you may not be connected to.

You know I was joking, right?

What? And I already upgraded everything.......

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The formatting from SSMS is problematic. It has various forms, and this editor doesn't handle it great. The best thing I've found is to paste, then highlight the code here and choose SQL Code at the bottom of the edit box. Even that sometimes doens't work with strange mixes of CHR(10), CHR(13), and HTML tags, so I try to be careful. Overall, if you aren't sure about the code, just paste it in.

Also, if it's more than 5 minutes work, I often use CTRL+A, C a few times as I'm working to be sure I have a copy. Maybe paste in Notepad to save it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)SSC Guru (870K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, February 9, 2018 2:57 PM
The formatting from SSMS is problematic. It has various forms, and this editor doesn't handle it great. The best thing I've found is to paste, then highlight the code here and choose SQL Code at the bottom of the edit box. Even that sometimes doens't work with strange mixes of CHR(10), CHR(13), and HTML tags, so I try to be careful. Overall, if you aren't sure about the code, just paste it in.

Also, if it's more than 5 minutes work, I often use CTRL+A, C a few times as I'm working to be sure I have a copy. Maybe paste in Notepad to save it.

The old one (sql code tags) that you folks tweaked worked fine. Any chance of resurrecting that?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Rod
Rod
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, February 9, 2018 2:57 PM

Hmmm. I had done it where I put in the SQL tags first then tried pasting the code into it. So, what I hear you saying is I should I posted the code first, then surrounded it with the SQL tags. OK, I can try that.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)SSC Guru (602K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Either way should work. I sometimes put the tags in, then the code. Sometimes the other way. Both seem to work, and occasionally, both fail miserably.

The entire editor changed with the forum upgrade, so codes and formatting from pasting is different. We can't go back as that's a large change from this editor, plus it removes the ability to apply patches from the vendor.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.