SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Create 1 view from 2 quieries using a Linked Server?

Create 1 view from 2 quieries using a Linked Server?

Author
SilhouetteBS
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am working on a project where I have created a Linked Server to a Progress database. The project requires me to pull data from the Progress database into a view so it can be queried from a 3rd party software. Because of the way the data is stored in the database, I am needing to do 2 queries to pull the data I need. My problem is that I need to have the results from both queries within the same view. Both queries have some of the same columns, but not all of the same columns. Is there a way to accomplish this? My first thought was to do a Union, but since both queries don't have all of the same columns I didn't know if there was a way to get that to work. Thank you in advance for helping.

UPDATE:
Here are the 2 queries that I need to use:
SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY([SKYWARD1],
'SELECT "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."nalphakey", "NAME_employee"."LAST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."FIRST-NAME", "NAME_DUSER"."DUSER-ID", "NAME_employee"."INTERNET-ADDRESS", "NAME_employee"."SECOND-PHONE", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NUMBER", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NAME", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE", "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-SDESC", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-SDESC", "NAME_employee"."BIRTHDATE", "NAME_employee"."FEDERAL-ID-NO", "ZIP"."ZIP-CITY", "ZIP"."ZIP-STATE", "ZIP"."ZIP-CODE", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE", "NAME_employee"."ALTERNATE-ID", "NAME_employee"."MIDDLE-NAME"

FROM "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAPRO-PROFILE" "HAAPRO_PROFILE", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME-DUSER" "NAME_DUSER", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_employee", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAABLD-BLD-CODES" "HAABLD_BLD_CODES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPES" "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ADDRESS" "ADDRESS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ZIP" "ZIP"

WHERE ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_DUSER"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_employee"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"="HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"="HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE") AND ("NAME_employee"."ADDRESS-ID"="ADDRESS"."ADDRESS-ID") AND ("ADDRESS"."ZIP-CODE"="ZIP"."ZIP-CODE") AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE"=1 AND ((("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"=''SUB'' OR "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"=''INSUB'')) OR (("HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''98SCA'' OR "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''97SCU'' OR "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''95STR'')))')

'SELECT "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."nalphakey", "NAME_employee"."LAST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."FIRST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."MIDDLE-NAME", "NAME_DUSER"."DUSER-ID", "NAME_employee"."INTERNET-ADDRESS", "NAME_employee"."SECOND-PHONE", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NUMBER", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NAME", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE", "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-SDESC", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-SDESC", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE", "NAME_employee"."BIRTHDATE", "NAME_employee"."FEDERAL-ID-NO", "HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE", "NAME_supervisor"."LAST-NAME" AS "SUPERVISOR-LAST-NAME", "NAME_supervisor"."FIRST-NAME" AS "SUPERVISOR-FIRST-NAME", "ZIP"."ZIP-CITY", "ZIP"."ZIP-STATE", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN", "ZIP"."ZIP-CODE", "HAADSC_DESCS"."HAADSC-DESC", "NAME_supervisor"."NALPHAKEY" AS "SUPERVISOR-NALPHAKEY", "NAME_employee"."ALTERNATE-ID", "FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"."FFAMAM-EDITED-ACCT", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC"

FROM "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAPRO-PROFILE" "HAAPRO_PROFILE", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME-DUSER" "NAME_DUSER", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_employee", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAABLD-BLD-CODES" "HAABLD_BLD_CODES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPES" "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HPMASN-ASSIGNMENTS" "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ADDRESS" "ADDRESS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ZIP" "ZIP", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAADSC-DESCS" "HAADSC_DESCS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HPMPLN-PLAN" "HPMPLN_PLAN", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_supervisor", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAACC-ACCT-DIST" "HAAACC_ACCT_DIST", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."FFAMAM-ACCT-MST" "FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"

WHERE ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_DUSER"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_employee"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"="HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"="HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE") AND ("NAME_employee"."NAME-ID"="HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."NAME-ID") AND ("NAME_employee"."ADDRESS-ID"="ADDRESS"."ADDRESS-ID") AND ("ADDRESS"."ZIP-CODE"="ZIP"."ZIP-CODE") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-ID-DPT"="HAADSC_DESCS"."HAADSC-ID" (+)) AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMPLN-ID"="HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-SUPER-ID"="NAME_supervisor"."NAME-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-ID"="HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."HAAACC-SRC-ID") AND ("HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."FFAMAM-ACCT-ID"="FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"."FFAMAM-ACCT-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE">=(SYSDATE-(60)) AND "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE"<={d ''9999-12-31''}) AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"<>''CASEM'' AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE"=1 AND NOT ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Leadership Stipend'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Professional Development'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Special Stipend'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Westview Stipend'') AND ("HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC"=''2015-2016 Plan'' OR "HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC"=''2016-2017 Plan'') AND "HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."HAAACC-SRC-IND"=''PMASN''')

SilhouetteBS
SilhouetteBS
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

Is the best option to just insert nulls like what is suggested here?
pietlinden
pietlinden
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)

If the two result sets have a 1:1 relationship, use a JOIN. If the two sets do not overlap, use UNION.
SilhouetteBS
SilhouetteBS
SSC-Enthusiastic

pietlinden - Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:39 PM
If the two result sets have a 1:1 relationship, use a JOIN. If the two sets do not overlap, use UNION.

Thank you pitelinden. It is not a 1:1 relationship, so I chose to use a UNION.

After trying to use a UNION I quickly discovered that since they both did not have the same columns I needed to add static columns to 1st SELECT. I was testing it as I was going and it was working great until I got to 2 fields, ''NULL'' AS "HPMASN-END-DATE" which is a date column and the other ''null'' AS "HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC" which is a number column. For ''NULL'' AS "HPMASN-END-DATE" I receive the error message "Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string." For ''null'' AS "HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC" I receive the error message "Error converting data type varchar to numeric.". I have tried multiple changes, but cannot correct the errors. Any ideas?

The last problem I have is that rather than setting the columns to null, it is actually inserting a string of 'null'. Does anyone know how I correct that as well?

Below is the entire SQL query.
'SELECT "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."nalphakey", "NAME_employee"."LAST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."FIRST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."MIDDLE-NAME", "NAME_DUSER"."DUSER-ID", "NAME_employee"."INTERNET-ADDRESS", "NAME_employee"."SECOND-PHONE", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NUMBER", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NAME", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE", "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-SDESC", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-SDESC", "NAME_employee"."BIRTHDATE", "NAME_employee"."FEDERAL-ID-NO", "ZIP"."ZIP-CITY", "ZIP"."ZIP-STATE", "ZIP"."ZIP-CODE", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE", "NAME_employee"."ALTERNATE-ID", ''null'' AS "HPMPLN-DESC", ''NULL'' AS "HPMASN-END-DATE", ''null'' AS "SUPERVISOR-LAST-NAME", ''null'' AS "SUPERVISOR-FIRST-NAME", ''null'' AS "HAADSC-DESC-ASN", ''null'' AS "HAADSC-DESC", ''null'' AS "SUPERVISOR-NALPHAKEY", ''null'' AS "FFAMAM-EDITED-ACCT", ''null'' AS "HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC"

FROM "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAPRO-PROFILE" "HAAPRO_PROFILE", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME-DUSER" "NAME_DUSER", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_employee", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAABLD-BLD-CODES" "HAABLD_BLD_CODES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPES" "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ADDRESS" "ADDRESS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ZIP" "ZIP"

WHERE ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_DUSER"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_employee"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"="HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"="HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE") AND ("NAME_employee"."ADDRESS-ID"="ADDRESS"."ADDRESS-ID") AND ("ADDRESS"."ZIP-CODE"="ZIP"."ZIP-CODE") AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE"=1 AND ((("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"=''SUB'' OR "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"=''INSUB'')) OR (("HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''98SCA'' OR "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''97SCU'' OR "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"=''95STR'')))')

UNION

'SELECT "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."nalphakey", "NAME_employee"."LAST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."FIRST-NAME", "NAME_employee"."MIDDLE-NAME", "NAME_DUSER"."DUSER-ID", "NAME_employee"."INTERNET-ADDRESS", "NAME_employee"."SECOND-PHONE", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NUMBER", "ADDRESS"."STREET-NAME", "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE", "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-SDESC", "HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-SDESC", "NAME_employee"."BIRTHDATE", "NAME_employee"."FEDERAL-ID-NO", "ZIP"."ZIP-CITY", "ZIP"."ZIP-STATE", "ZIP"."ZIP-CODE", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE", "NAME_employee"."ALTERNATE-ID", "HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE", "NAME_supervisor"."LAST-NAME" AS "SUPERVISOR-LAST-NAME", "NAME_supervisor"."FIRST-NAME" AS "SUPERVISOR-FIRST-NAME", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN", "HAADSC_DESCS"."HAADSC-DESC", "NAME_supervisor"."NALPHAKEY" AS "SUPERVISOR-NALPHAKEY", "FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"."FFAMAM-EDITED-ACCT", "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC"

FROM "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAPRO-PROFILE" "HAAPRO_PROFILE", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME-DUSER" "NAME_DUSER", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_employee", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAABLD-BLD-CODES" "HAABLD_BLD_CODES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPES" "HAAETY_EMP_TYPES", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HPMASN-ASSIGNMENTS" "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ADDRESS" "ADDRESS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."ZIP" "ZIP", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAADSC-DESCS" "HAADSC_DESCS", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HPMPLN-PLAN" "HPMPLN_PLAN", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."NAME" "NAME_supervisor", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."HAAACC-ACCT-DIST" "HAAACC_ACCT_DIST", "SKYWARD"."PUB"."FFAMAM-ACCT-MST" "FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"

WHERE ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_DUSER"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."NAME-ID"="NAME_employee"."NAME-ID") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE"="HAABLD_BLD_CODES"."HAABLD-BLD-CODE") AND ("HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"="HAAETY_EMP_TYPES"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE") AND ("NAME_employee"."NAME-ID"="HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."NAME-ID") AND ("NAME_employee"."ADDRESS-ID"="ADDRESS"."ADDRESS-ID") AND ("ADDRESS"."ZIP-CODE"="ZIP"."ZIP-CODE") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-ID-DPT"="HAADSC_DESCS"."HAADSC-ID" (+)) AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMPLN-ID"="HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-SUPER-ID"="NAME_supervisor"."NAME-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-ID"="HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."HAAACC-SRC-ID") AND ("HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."FFAMAM-ACCT-ID"="FFAMAM_ACCT_MST"."FFAMAM-ACCT-ID") AND ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE">=(SYSDATE-(60)) AND "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HPMASN-END-DATE"<={d ''9999-12-31''}) AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAETY-EMP-TYPE-CODE"<>''CASEM'' AND "HAAPRO_PROFILE"."HAAPRO-ACTIVE"=1 AND NOT ("HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Leadership Stipend'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Professional Development'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Special Stipend'' OR "HPMASN_ASSIGNMENTS"."HAADSC-DESC-ASN"=''Westview Stipend'') AND ("HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC"=''2015-2016 Plan'' OR "HPMPLN_PLAN"."HPMPLN-DESC"=''2016-2017 Plan'') AND "HAAACC_ACCT_DIST"."HAAACC-SRC-IND"=''PMASN''')

SilhouetteBS
SilhouetteBS
SSC-Enthusiastic

I have fixed my date and number errors by casting them to the correct data types. I am still having a problem setting the other columns to null though.
pietlinden
pietlinden
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)

SELECT ... NULL AS ColumnName
FROM MyTable

doesn't work? Got some dummy data we can play with?
SilhouetteBS
SilhouetteBS
SSC-Enthusiastic

pietlinden - Friday, May 12, 2017 2:46 PM
SELECT ... NULL AS ColumnName
FROM MyTable

doesn't work? Got some dummy data we can play with?

Come to find out OpenEdge sql does not currently support NULL as a real value, only in special contexts, like INSERT. - See more at: https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_rdbms/f/18/t/33559#sthash.Vshx4pXc.dpuf

ravdep
ravdep
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Instead of using "NULL" inside the openquery query string, use it outside. In other words something like

SELECT HAAPRO-ACTIVE, ......, CONVERT(VARCHAR(100),NULL) AS HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC
FROM OPENQUERY([SKYWARD1],.........<do not list the HPMASN-HRS-PER-DAY-DEC inside the query>.......
UNION
SELECT .....
caffeinated
caffeinated
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (151 reputation)

Can the 3rd Party Software pull data from a stored procedure, or are you stuck with a view as a source?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.