SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Contained Databases

Contained Databases

Author
WayneS
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Contained Databases

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Nice straightforward question, thanks.

I could remember 3 of the four answers, but on the mirroring one I was racking my brains to no avail, and finally gave up and consulted BoL. The information seemed quite hard to find (for example, if I'd taken the first apparently relevant page I found in BoL, ALTER DATABASE Database Mirroring, at face value I would have got it horribly wrong. I ended up reading quite a bit. SO for me the question was a good learning experience.

Tom

kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Nice simple question on SQL Server 2012 new features thank you.Got my point surprised only 27% got it so far.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Sreepathi1987
Sreepathi1987
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)

Good Question.....
rodjkidd
rodjkidd
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Good question. I was in the same boat as Tom, was it replication or mirroring...
But I didn't check BOL ( :-D ) took a punt on replication, oh well!

Rodders...

Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

anthony.green (7/26/2012)
Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

I also thought the same :-)
But in the end changed my mind, thinking that what would be the use of contained DB, if it cannot be mirrored? Features like running environment reports from contained DBs and other stuff like delegating access control will be of no use without mirroring.

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question
Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com

Follow me @Twitter

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

anthony.green (7/26/2012)

+1

Dana Medley
Dana Medley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Thank you for the great question. The answer on mirroring kinda threw me for a loop; I had it and then second guessed myself and got it wrong.

Everything is awesome!
Dan Graveen
Dan Graveen
Old Hand
Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)

I was also stumped on the mirroring option. Did a quick lookup on msdn and found the alter database mirroring options are not available for contained databases. I guess I learned something new, but I'll have to read up on this some more. "How is it available, but it cannot be altered?" is the first question I need to answer for myself.. Tongue

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522476.aspx
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.