Registration is 332 as of 8 am on August 26. We added a whopping 40 registrations last week – a very good week! Our standard Tuesday email will go out about 10 am this morning with topics on MVP’s in attendance and lunch. On Friday we’ll have our first “special”… Read more
I just checked in again on our LinkedIn campaign, had a couple days with good impression counts. We can still only tie 1 registration to all of the LinkedIn effort so far. Keep going, or ? I think I’m going to see if I can change the URL to a… Read more
Got this in morning email from Khan Academy. Not sure if I agree that we all can learn anything, but I love the video anyway because the best lesson to learn is that learning takes time, effort, and stumbles. I watch my own kids struggle with this, and think how… Read more
- Busy week, should have blogged about it before the event
- Did a remote presentation on securing credit card data
- First time using Lync for remote, not hard to use, but not good to try 10 minutes before hand either (my fault)
- Camera in the room was nice, had a sense…
I just spent a few minutes reviewing the 2015 PASS budget, things that I noticed:
- Anticipating a change in revenue of 1.1 million. That seems…optimistic
- IT spend is now $550k, up $150k over 2014. Probably good, but what are we doing with that? Ah, the budget doesn’t say
I’m continuing to experiment with the messaging. Without A/B testing (and maybe even with, given the small list size) it’s hard to know what works, or doesn’t. If nothing else we’ll poll on it post event. I have some guidelines:
- Message every Tuesday. If they read them all good,…
I’ve been thinking about this topic for a few weeks, maybe longer. It’s based on the three years I served on the PASS Board, and observations of others who served before during, and after that time. I’m trying to look at behaviors and patterns, not people and personalities, though surely… Read more
I read with a bit of despair this post by Denise McInerney this morning. Going forward, it’s just “PASS”. Somehow we’ve transitioned to being a data organization, which I think means big data, Power Query, Sharepoint, Excel, and everything else. I always thought the SQL Server community was plenty big… Read more
Big news for us in Orlando! On October 15th Mark Souza, General Manager – Data Platform Group at Microsoft, is going to speak to a joint oPASS/MagicPASS chapter meeting. Just having a joint meeting is a big deal, but having Mark as the speaker – hard to believe! The… Read more
Just checked in on my LinkedIn campaign. This is the one that uses job titles. Not a ton of impressions, but I can live with that at this level of targeting. Going to send this off to the team, we might run this longer given the low weekly spend.
Tomorrow… Read more
- ONETUG team graciously gave me time at the beginning of the meeting to talk about the upcoming SQLSaturday Orlando
- Asked them to attend – I think people like to be asked, and we really do want them to attend!
- Mentioned our paid seminars
- Asked them to mention the event to…
Tuesday we sent our metronomic email of the week. No huge call to action this week. My schedule called for a BI focus and I struggled to write it, so I changed to something I could write! We added in the reminder about oPASS/MagicPASS meetings, trying to reinforce the SQLSaturday… Read more
I was reading http://paultebraak.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/the-wisdom-of-the-tableau-crowd/ and, no disrespect intended at all to the Tableau universe, I was astounded to see that the Tableau Conference is bigger than the PASS Summit. Both are in Seattle (different dates), and the prices look to be similar ($1495 is the number I saw… Read more
More notes, hopefully not repeating any from previous posts!
- Karla has used the chart showing registration growth as a way to reinforce to sponsors that we’re on track for solid attendance. I suspect it also carries with it the impression that we’re engaged in trying to drive the number up,…
I just paused our first LinkedIn campaign, the one that was based on a functional area of IT in the Orlando area. We had one registration that had “LinkedIn” as the source, so we’ll say we converted 1 click to a registration for certain, possibly a few more. If all… Read more
Few things have more impact on our career than job titles. The job titles we’ve held tell future employers a lot about us, and job titles on positions we’re considering are the first visual filter we apply. Titles are the most abbreviated way there is of saying “I do this”… Read more
One of the better graphics I’ve seen in a Connector that shows the timeline:
- Should You Run for the PASS Board? How Do You Decide?
- Encourage Someone You Respect to Run for the PASS Board of Directors
- How to Encourage Someone to Run for the PASS…
- No viewed on LinkedIn yesterday. Increased the bid to $5 and now seeing views. Not sure it correlates, but probably. We’re up to two clicks now! I also added two ad variations that haven’t been approved yet. (chart below)
- The image with “Dimensional Modeling Seminar” went as our “email of…
First, a quick update on the LinkedIn advetising campaign. One click so far, no registrations. More views than I expected for a Sunday.
I drafted the next message to be emailed out this weekend and sent out for feedback. Good feedback on the first draft, made those changes… Read more