Viewing 15 posts - 8,116 through 8,130 (of 59,098 total)
Several. In our normal course of business, we do periodic restores, and I request periodic restores just to make sure they're working correctly. This particular company has done extremely...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Yes, we have automated test restores and DBCC checks running constantly. That's for native backups. Unfortunately some of our databases are backed up with a SAN-based snapshot technology, which...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
I gotta say, my life's been so much easier since we out-sourced the backup part of my DBA job. I just define the backup rules, and someone else insures...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Shifting gears a bit, you good folks are still on SQL Server 2012. My recommendation is that you need to consider upgrading. After all, 2012 is 7 years old now.
I'm...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 3:50 pm
What DaaS means to me is that the more repetitive and time consuming (ie: the boring or 2am stuff) tasks get offloaded elsewhere, and the DBA can focus more...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Online trading didn't kill financial advisers, prefab construction didn't kill architects, TV dinners didn't kill professional chefs, blogging didn't kill journalism, NoSQL didn't kill SQL, and DaaS won't kill...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Someone should also include some of the documented pitfalls of using striped backups...
https://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/the-problem-with-striped-backups
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 16, 2019 at 12:48 pm
>>I should like to see Microsoft consider adding more in-built statistical functions given the way that the BI world is heading. I should also like to see some focusing...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 10:46 pm
For question #1, what's going to happen in the single table design when (and it will happen) you end up with more than one emergency contact and more than one...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 10:33 pm
For your example you would be much better off, in terms of performance, by having an update followed by an insert:
UPDATE p
SET...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 9:59 pm
IIRC, you posted about this on another forum. And, if that was you, you posted that you had backup history but only up to and including the 6th of December ...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Something else to think about... I needed to be able to use the BULK LOGGED recovery model and I'm pretty sure that both of these methods (CDC and CT) both...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 9:28 pm
I believe you're correct in that. However, according to the following link (which is what I have to go by because I've not instantiated either because it was simpler to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 9:24 pm
My personal feeling is that CDC is incredible overkill for simple DML logging of historical data both in complexity of use and design as well as causing excessive duplication of...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 4:07 pm
So the Slowly Changing Dimension object turned out to be \"less than ideal\" (in other words, trash). Where is a good place for me to learn how to implement...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 15, 2019 at 5:49 am
Viewing 15 posts - 8,116 through 8,130 (of 59,098 total)