Viewing 15 posts - 6,976 through 6,990 (of 59,098 total)
The eventual plan is that @Filename will be the parameter in an SSIS package so I don't think there is any risk of SQL injection through the use of...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Thanks! Has anyone has any thoughts on Change Data Capture. The CDC function is, probably similar to the transactional replication. It is not the same, but it has...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 5:44 pm
If you use it right, EF is fine.
Now THAT I'll mostly agree with. The key is getting people to "use it right". For example, at one company I do...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 5:31 pm
[...]
Entity Framework is a bit fat wrapper around ADO and it took Microsoft about seven releases to get something that was relatively stable. It is essentially another...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 5:21 pm
I'd recommend against implicit conversions wherever possible. There are a lot of articles online about implicit conversion and even SQL Server, via the execution plan, will give a warning...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 4:36 pm
An alternative is to use the format function to convert it to a percentage. Note that I'm only casting the FirstInteger to a decimal(18,10) because the SecondInteger is implicitly...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 3:21 pm
My biggest gripe about ORMs, especially old Linq To SQL (but not limited to that one), is datatype mismatches where the passed variables are NVARCHAR() as criteria to be played...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 5, 2020 at 2:15 pm
I cant provide anything specific to tables for sensitivity reasons but can explain in detail below.
TABLE1 has Y for Year and M for Month. It also is the main...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 10:31 pm
Ok... trying again as a ZIP file...
Edit... looks like that did it. Just double click on the link and an Explorer window should open up. Double click on the .ppsx...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 9:44 pm
@stevec883 and anyone else interested...
I've extracted a section out of my "Black Arts" Index Maintenance #1 PowerPoint presentation and extracted it as a "slide show" so you don't actually need...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 9:40 pm
Look for the [DOWNLOAD] button at the following link...
I don't write PowerPoint "presentations"... rather, I write highly animated PowerPoint "Books". If you go into the "present" mode of the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Excellent thanks. This clarifies a lot and I look forward to those articles.
It sounds like, after reading both posts (Jeff and Brian), that inserting data in the middle of...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Quick Follow Up Question: The two sets of addresses and two sets of contact info for each applicant are obvious cues to normalize and create tables for each.
But everything...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Heh... there actually is a way. 😉 I've presented the method to just a couple of PASS chapters and I'm working on some proposed articles for a "Stairway".
Now,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 7:33 pm
DATEDIFF(mm,0,[Date]) calculates the number of month boundaries crossed (in effect, returns a count of months) since day "0", which is the 1st of January, 1900. That means that each date...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
June 4, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 6,976 through 6,990 (of 59,098 total)