Viewing 15 posts - 53,356 through 53,370 (of 59,098 total)
Microsoft still uses lightbulbs? 😛 I heard they couldn't find anyone who still knew how, so they've shifted to HI-LEDs that never need changing.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 4:11 pm
Heh... no, not what we're looking at in Word... Yes, I understand the control character notation for things like ^m (ASCII 13 or Hex OD)... Word seems to have it's...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 1:31 pm
Better than that, post the first 100 rows of your problem file as an attachment and we'll take a crack at it tonight. Also, post what the CREATE TABLE...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 1:26 pm
I'll look at the T-SQL tonight. Not sure yet if there are a wad of cursors. You're saying that would explain the X locks?
Yep... could be... if they're not "Fire...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 1:08 pm
My first inclination about this job is to abandon it... no, I didn't say rewrite it... I do mean "abandon it". This will change the Fill Factor on all...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 12:34 pm
Heh... that about does it for me, Adam... I'm going to pivot the PIVOT command right into Unit 0 and use the old school methods I demo'd for this type...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 12:21 pm
Hard returns are CHAR(13)... Soft returns are actually vertical tabs (CHAR(11))... if that's what you meant...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 12:18 pm
I don't believe that would work on something that looks like this...
"Some Company with a very long name","somedata","some other data"
"Some Company","someData","some other data"
"Some Company with a very long name","some very...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 11:25 am
Heh... you beat me to it, Noel... I'd rather fix the problem than make a patch and I'm thinking that the problem is just bad code to start with. ...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 11:16 am
If you setup a BCP format file correctly and use Bulk Insert, that problem will magically disappear... performance problems will probably disappear, as well. I've used Bulk Insert with...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 11:12 am
Thanks for the feedback, Jacob...
Yeah, the "same old trick" you're be speaking about is the aggragates themselves.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 11:06 am
Always a pleasure, MrPoleCat... and thanks for the feedback.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 11:04 am
Something had to have changed in the environment... for example, the login that SQL Server uses to start services... it may have been changed permission wise on the Windows Server...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 10:57 am
You haven't mentioned whether or not you're using an explicit transaction around all of those inserts and selects... that would be a real big cause of the deadlocks.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 10:55 am
You might want to take smaller bites when inserting, as well. Insert a couple of hundred thousand using a control (ugh!) loop.
If the data is being inserted from, say,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 27, 2007 at 10:49 am
Viewing 15 posts - 53,356 through 53,370 (of 59,098 total)