Viewing 15 posts - 41,446 through 41,460 (of 59,098 total)
Bulk Insert and BCP will bring things in in the same order as the file unless done in parallel. Make the table with an IDENTITY column and BULK INSERT...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm
GSquared (10/20/2009)
Reboot when you have to, never otherwise.
I'll second that.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm
Option "A" is known as a "Slowly Changing Dimension Type 2" and, if I recall correctly, Option "B" is "Type 1". I prefer option "A" as I don't hav...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm
I'm not so sure that's true, Steve. Just like with Log Files on full recovery DB's, a time honored server performance "trick" is to move TempDB to it's own...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm
The answer is simple on this one... don't use a permanent table as a staging table... use a Temp Table.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:06 pm
Elliott W (10/20/2009)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Bob has shown the way with the best performance in 2k5. Lemme show you what you did wrong with yours....
CREATE FUNCTION dbo.fnConcatTest (@PID INT)RETURNS VARCHAR(8000)
AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @Return VARCHAR(8000)
SELECT...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 9:49 pm
Heh... like I said...
I know that the use of cursors and loops for flow control is an acceptable use...
... and I agree with all the reasons Bob stated for this...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 9:36 pm
I know that the use of cursors and loops for flow control is an acceptable use but... I just can't bring myself to write one if there is another way...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm
Ummmm.... why build the reporting view at all? Build the table so it looks like the view, index it correctly, and have synonym pointing at the table in...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 6:05 pm
Heh... gettin' old... Seth beat me. Same idea though...
SELECT DATEADD(ss,1,DATEADD(mm,DATEDIFF(mm,-16,GETDATE())-1,-16))
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 5:55 pm
You shouldn't have to partition anything for a 7k row table because it won't help when returning all rows and columns.
Something is dreadfully wrong if it takes that long to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm
A "search" on this site is still one of the best ways to find what you need...
When you run across one of the many articles or scripts on this subject,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm
That will certainly work and if you don't have many rows, you probably won't notice, but REVERSE is comparatively very expensive... it would be computationally cheaper if you just used...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 5:51 am
No problem... just remember that it leaves a trailing comma and does the whole table unless you add a criteria.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2009 at 5:44 am
Viewing 15 posts - 41,446 through 41,460 (of 59,098 total)