Viewing 15 posts - 40,381 through 40,395 (of 59,098 total)
Steve Jones - Editor (1/2/2010)
We have an F# review coming out this week of a book. Looks interesting.
Jeff,
C'mon, make it a resolution. Be good for you to stretch into SSIS,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 2, 2010 at 10:15 pm
This is more what I'd like to see...
BULK INSERT into staging
validate w/error processing/logging
BULK INSERT into staging
validate w/error processing/logging
BULK INSERT into staging
validate w/error processing/logging
IF no validation failures, merge with final table...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 3:02 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Naren... especially about the validation part. I'd hate to see someone get into trouble because of something like rounding.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 2:57 pm
chris-736523 (12/31/2009)
...however, it is quite difficult to find a balance between having enough detail and something that a business user can read, understand, and approve.
I resolved that issue...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm
Agreed... and thanks for the feedback.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 11:58 am
One more thing... rounding can be a real PITA depending on the original datatype... even the CASE method fails if the input is FLOAT because 4.555 comes out to be...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 11:42 am
Heh... I'm still concerned because this is for a bank and I apologize for even suggesting the use of STR(). Magoo... I owe you an apology because I forgot...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 11:26 am
narensantanam (1/1/2010)
Thanks for your observation on the truncation bit. I believe it should not be a problem as an account with currency as USD should never have a value...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 11:03 am
mister.magoo (1/1/2010)
The problem with all of this of course is that you are leaving yourself in the hands of SQL...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 10:56 am
Heh... Ok... since everyone is trying to be "clear", let's clear up a couple of other things about CTE's. CTE's work just like views do... if you call a...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 10:47 am
You bet. Thanks for the feedback.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 1, 2010 at 1:27 am
narensantanam (12/31/2009)
Like I mentioned in my reply to David - The reporting tools that we are using are unable to do this. I was just trying to find a...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 31, 2009 at 10:18 pm
Simply making much better choices as to what the clustered index is (ie. temporal according to inserts) will keep much of this type of data growth from occuring. Regular...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 31, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Lil SQL (12/30/2009)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 31, 2009 at 9:55 pm
Pradyothana Shastry (12/31/2009)
SELECT o.name AS "Table Name", i.rowcnt AS "Row Count"
FROM sysobjects o, sysindexes i
WHERE i.id =...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
December 31, 2009 at 9:47 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 40,381 through 40,395 (of 59,098 total)