Viewing 15 posts - 13,381 through 13,395 (of 22,227 total)
Roy Ernest (2/7/2011)
Great. I will keep appending the list. 🙂
Hey Roy,
You can put me down for virtual presentations, absolutely. Travel is something I can do, but it's very limited, so...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2011 at 9:04 am
I need tons more information to even attempt to give you answer. A few places you should look, what process are you using to load? Is it a batch oriented...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2011 at 7:12 am
Are you shrinking the tempdb over & over? Please don't do that. It hurts the system in lots of ways.
If whatever you're processing needs to to use that much tempdb,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2011 at 6:26 am
It may be an issue, and it may not. Any time someone puts forward numbers like that, you have to assume they're a guideline, not an absolute.
Are you monitoring waits?...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2011 at 6:19 am
I'm sorry I missed Friday night. I would have loved to have hung out with you guys. Jeff's fun when you get him going. SQL Saturday in Cleveland was a...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 6, 2011 at 4:44 am
argaen21 (2/4/2011)
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm
mister.magoo (2/4/2011)
Thanks for that comment, but the trace is actually writing to a file on a separate physical disk, the the StopPerfTrace SP reads it in using fn_trace_gettable.
I am...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 7:29 am
For what it's worth, I came into databases from development. I got into development after film school and four years in the Navy as a nuclear power monkey mate. I...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 7:25 am
I will also self-promote, but only after I promote a couple of others.
There are three books that I really like that deal with being a DBA, not so much SQL...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 7:24 am
I just left a company that did a number of migrations. We had very few issues. Most of the time the problem was in code that was deprecated. Be sure...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 7:14 am
I see the trace is outputting to a table, is that right? If so, is it a table on the system that you're doing your testing on? That could be...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 7:06 am
Expire date doesn't determine how many days are kept. That's a marker for old style tape backup systems.
How big is this database? Keeping 90 days worth of individual backups could...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 6:48 am
It sounds like you have the issue isolated to a particular table. What queries are running against the table. I'd focus there. Most of the time, problems exist either in...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 6:40 am
The company I used to work for did that annually. They would only take the backup process offline on a weekend, so all the prep was done and then testing...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 6:38 am
I wold get rid of the ROWLOCK hints. By putting the hint in place, you're forcing the optimizer to use row locks on inserts when page locks or even table...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 4, 2011 at 6:23 am
Viewing 15 posts - 13,381 through 13,395 (of 22,227 total)