Viewing 15 posts - 1,981 through 1,995 (of 22,227 total)
Not enough to go on.
First, fundamentally a deadlock is a performance problem. If all the locking occurs so fast that there's no interference, you will never see deadlocks. So, I...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 12, 2020 at 12:43 pm
It's funny that the biggest concern is actually guaranteed to happen. You are going to disrupt your existing work flow. That's sort of the point. I also see this as...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 12, 2020 at 12:32 pm
SQL Server doesn't manage it's memory in one giant pool. It segments the memory management into different areas with different purposes for efficiency of the management.
The plan cache is the...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 12, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Honest to god, I thought it was .index.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 12, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Here is the question that I wonder - how does it make sense to risk one's livelihood working for a company that doesn't upgrade?
Great point and, I'm sure, an...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 4:40 pm
I joined an IT operations department in 2013. At the time, they were all on 2008 R2. I warned them at the time that they should begin upgrading immediately....
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Now, Grant, to answer your question ("Tell me why rolling the dice and planning on good luck is the more sensible approach?"), my answer is only one thing; budget....
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 2:18 pm
While I completely agree that a controlled upgrade path is absolutely valid for service machines, where I work we produce software dependent upon older environments for builds. These are...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 2:14 pm
Oddball code bug related to rescheduling QOTD. It was scheduled for one day, moved to another, that affected the link. They're working on it.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Cheers Grant
Testing appears to be working, so I'm going for it. Just wondered if anyone else had tried.
I may ask a loaded question at one your SQL Bits sessions...
@Frederico...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 2:09 pm
Word is, it should be good now.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 1:48 pm
We need to fix it because I suspect there will be a little bit of a brouhaha about the question & answer today.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Nope, sorry, still not working. I'm speaking about "Join the discussion and add your comment" link at the end of the answered page. This also happened last week with...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 12:51 pm
I can't find anything saying one way or the other in Microsoft's documentation or on the real source of information, Niko's blog. I'd say if it tests out, it works....
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Nope, sorry, still not working. I'm speaking about "Join the discussion and add your comment" link at the end of the answered page. This also happened last week with...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 11, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1,981 through 1,995 (of 22,227 total)