Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 22,227 total)
That's what I get for not using the GUI for backups.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 14, 2024 at 7:24 pm
This occurs when the logins have different IDs between servers. Here's an article that discusses dealing with this.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 14, 2024 at 12:48 pm
I'm not sure why it went wonky Rod. A restore of a full backup shouldn't be doing tail log backups, successful or otherwise. Something odd going on. Did you use...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 14, 2024 at 12:46 pm
I've always found attending conferences to be valuable. I've learned lots at the conferences I've attended and have made life-long friends.
Which is why it is strange that...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 8, 2024 at 8:24 am
I've always found attending conferences to be valuable. I've learned lots at the conferences I've attended and have made life-long friends.
Which is why it is strange that my current...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 7, 2024 at 7:07 am
In my 42 years in IT with most of it as a DBA I never got to go to a conference. The closest was a very few meetings with...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 7, 2024 at 7:07 am
Being an introvert at a conference is exhausting. Utterly and completely.
And totally worth it.
No one believes me when I say I'm an introvert because I'm always up on stage, running...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 7, 2024 at 7:05 am
Johan, did you try doing sni_trace? That is an event, in the debug channel. I guess I somehow missed that on the first read through.
I don't have the setup handy...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
October 3, 2024 at 12:26 pm
Trying doing it without compressing it. Backups are compressed by default ever since... 2014?... and zipping or tar or whatever, can affect the files.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 24, 2024 at 6:26 pm
I've worked on SQL Server databases for 30 years now. I've written multiple books on the topic of query tuning. I want to lead in with that because the next...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 24, 2024 at 6:24 pm
If, and this is a big one, there are zero data types, indexes, settings on any of those, that are incompatible between versions, this will not work.
What you can try...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 24, 2024 at 6:16 pm
Thank you for the cautions, Grant.
I always develop xEvents related stuff on my local box, then on a dev box, then on a QA box and only then ....
As...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 24, 2024 at 12:51 pm
You beat me to to use of phone iconography. It's not just cell phones though. We have "desk phones" in the form of VOIP on our PCs. There's no...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 23, 2024 at 1:48 pm
Hey Johan! I don't think debug_channel is an event. There is a Debug Channel in Extended Events, but it's a grouping of the events that are undocumented, minimally documented, and...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 20, 2024 at 12:46 pm
Just to be clear, nothing in a derived table, in and of itself, is necessarily a problem for the optimizer, resulting in poor performance. It's the specific implementation of your...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
August 29, 2024 at 12:23 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 22,227 total)