Viewing 15 posts - 21,256 through 21,270 (of 49,552 total)
Peter Maloof (1/7/2012)
I think I'm going to use SQL Server 2008 R2 for studying.
Use either 2008 or 2008 R2.
I can count on one hand the number of changes to the...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 8, 2012 at 2:23 am
andis59 (1/7/2012)
Well, a song would be Artist.name + Album.title + Song.title
Which, since they're all in different tables can't be an alternate key.
album would be Artist.name + Album.title ( I might...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm
andis59 (1/7/2012)
I also changed lenght to int. I have to check what the smallint, tinyint has as limits...
It's in Books Online, but smallint = 32767. Tinyint = 255
About the alternate...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm
That looks like something wrong with SSMS, that it's missing its icons.
The databases all open and are queryable? I don't think it's a problem with the server
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Err, not really. A picture might help (attach to your post)
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 11:54 am
Book on database design: look up Louis Davidson on Amazon (grab his SQL 2008 book)
I strongly suggest you get that and read it before you carry on. However...
The linking tables...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 11:52 am
L' Eomot Inversé (1/7/2012)
GilaMonster (1/6/2012)
Grant Fritchey (1/6/2012)
Well, Red Gate hired me despite my participation on The Thread. In fact, they hired me even though they actually knew me.
Well you know...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 10:40 am
Jeff Moden (1/7/2012)
Ninja's_RGR'us (1/7/2012)
Edit : I was going to say "same mold" but somehow it didn't look right.
Heh... Wow! I'll turn 60 this year... perhaps "mold" is...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 10:39 am
Don't know any audio books, but the RunAsRadio podcast sometimes has SQL Server topics (and often has interesting non-SQL topics) and, to a much lesser extent, does DotNetRocks. http://dotnetrocks.com and...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 8:53 am
No worries, it just makes things easier to test and means you'll get something that does work, not something we think works.
p.s. Do you have a tally/numbers table in the...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 8:21 am
Not sure. I'll be honest, I didn't fully understand the requirements or problem, that's why I want some data to play with
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 8:16 am
Could you post table designs and some sample (easily insertable) data so that we can try potential solutions out?
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 7:55 am
Anamika (1/7/2012)
little struggling between management processes and addressing people. Will find a way soon..... 🙂
Good luck.
If you need any motivations for any of the changes you want, post...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 7:53 am
Please note: 5 year old thread.
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 7:37 am
Anamika (1/7/2012)
the execution plan will reveal the database names and the column names. I don't want to take any risk on that.
And? If I were to tell you that a...
Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability
January 7, 2012 at 7:29 am
Viewing 15 posts - 21,256 through 21,270 (of 49,552 total)