Zip compressed backup

• Hello,

As we know in sql 2014 we have inbuilt compress backup feature. So I have 50 GB db size and the backup of this db becomes to 5 GB.

Now I need to zip this 5 GB backup and I use 7zip free utility but then zip file is still 4.5 GB.

The question is, is this a problem with zipping software? If I buy licensed version can I still reduce the size?

or it will not work with licensed version because sql has already compressed the file??

Please let me know.

Thanks.

• Yes, since the file is already compressed, you won't gain much advantage from compressing it again. That applies to any compressed file format - for example JPEG. Try compressing one of those, and you'll probably get as much joy as you did with your compressed backup.

John

• Further on John's replay, hardly worth zipping the compressed backups unless one is applying encryption in the process.

😎

7zip works as well as any other compression software.

• Thanks all for making it clear now. Thanks.

• Also, fair warning, if you encrypt a file, it won't compress well. Good backup software compresses, then encrypts.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Eirikur Eiriksson (4/5/2016)

Further on John's replay, hardly worth zipping the compressed backups unless one is applying encryption in the process.

On SQL 2014, rather encrypt the backup natively, as it's taken.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply