zero space available

• Hope this question is not too dumb for this forum.. but here goes.

I have a DB on SQL Server 2K which is the backend for our Great Plains System.

When I look at the properties of the Database from Enterprise Manager, It shows Size: 1370.57mb and space available: 0.00    The ZERO space available is what I'm concerned about.    The DB is in FULL recovery mode with a nighly Full backup and transaction log backups throught the day.  The DB is set to autogrow and the file growth is set at 20 percent.

My question is.. should I be worried about the ZERO space available and if so, how do I correct this?? 

• As long as you have enough space to autogrow by 20% which works out at 274 MB free space on the drive that .mdf file sits on the database should autogrow itself.  If you have less than 274 MB of free space on the drive start worrying.  You should look to see if there are any files that could be deleted on the drive such as old backup files etc.

Regards

Carl

• Thank you.   I do have plenty of free space on the drive so i should be all set.

• Check your DB have auto shrink or not. If it has, uncheck it.

If it does not have, you don't need to worry about it. Since your db is set to autogrow, it's possible to have "0 available space" at a specific time when there is no enough space. If any user inserts any data to your db, SQL server will grow your db.

For a large db, the auto grow is better to set xxMB instead of percentage of current size and allocate enough space when the db is created. Since your db is pretty small now you don't need to worry this too.

• I just had this. Your sysindexes table may be out of sync. Running "DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (0)" cleaned things up for us.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply