Zero out backup files?

• Looking at the documentation, it would suggest that as well as data files, when a backup file's created it will also be zeroed out unless the service a/c's been given Perform Volume Maintenance. Anyone know if that's right.

We take our backups to dedicated backup servers, meaning backup performance should improve significantly if instant file initialization's given to the Service account logins for the source boxes if I'm right.

Anyone ever tried this and able to let me know if any difference is made?

cheers

Andrew

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Where do you see backups taking advantage of instant file initialization? Your post implies that this is the case based on your reading, and it would be interesting to read up on that!

• Kimberly Tripp suggests in this blog that by default all files zero out a file allocation request's allocated space for all files, it's not a SQL Server thing per-se; http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/kimberly/instant-initialization-what-why-and-how/

Obviously, if you're backing up 'locally' you should have it set already (probably). However, if you're backing up to a dedicated backup location ...

It's just something that struck me this morning while I was checking the backup jobs.

Soppose I'll just stop being a lazy bugger and do that testing thing, see how it goes.

I'm a DBA.

• ok, I can see that restores take advantage of instant initialization, but thats because its again (re)creating database data files *from* the backup. Since SQL won't do instant initialization on log files, I'm doubting it will do it for database backups, but it would be interesting to find out differently!

• If anyone else was wondering - nah. no difference

I'm a DBA.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply