Yukon MCDBA requirements

• Microsoft is currently conducting a survey to collect feedback about the potential requirements for the SQL Server Yukon MCDBA certification. I saw the survey on the PASS web site at:

http://www.sqlpass.org

The new MCDBA would have seven required tests with six core exams and one elective. Here's a breakdown:

required - Administering SQL Server "Yukon" (like the current 70-228)

required - Designing SQL Server "Yukon" Databases (like the current 70-229)

required - Programming SQL Server "Yukon" (new exam on SQL queries)

required - Designing and Implementing Business Intelligence in SQL Server "Yukon" (new exam on ETL and OLAP)

required - 70-215 or (new exam on Windows Server 2003 Admin) or (70-290 and 70-291)

required - 70-226 or 70-298 or 70-300

elective - 70-293 or UN1-001 or 70-305 or 70-306 or 70-310 or 70-315 or 70-316 or 70-320

I thought these requirements looked pretty good, especially because of the new programming and OLAP requirements. Hopefully, the four core Yukon exams (Admin, Design, Programming, BI) will NOT be added to the electives for the MCSE/MCSD certifications. I think it is bad for the MCDBA cert. to have people who are "MCSE first, MCDBA second" because the MCDBA cert. should be worthy on its own.

On the other hand, I think the MCDBA core exams should be added to the electives for the MCSA and MCAD certs. because it encourages people to start certification with the ultimate goal of MCSE or MCSD or MCDBA.

Does anyone else have a reaction to the possible new requirements ?

Edited by - cppwiz on 11/04/2003 12:36:50 PM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• At $125 (today's price) the MCDBA has moved from something that might cost $400 (back in the day of 4 tests, $100 each) to $875.

I wonder if the cost is designed to slow down those who live by the test. With the study books, and the time necessary to prepare the MCDBA is easily over $1 000. That is quite a speculative investment. The question remains since the MCDBA is not the main reason someone is hired as a DBA (it may be an ancillary reason), why pursue it?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• I agree the cost is hard to justify. I have found that between books and practice tests, the cost to prepare for each test is around $150 dollars which would make the new Yukon MCDBA cost over $1,900 dollars.

Some people may be required to stay certified because their company is a Microsoft partner. Consultants might want to be certified for the good PR. Non-DBA's might pass the seven tests to move into a DBA role. So I think cost doesn't have as much influence on the number of certified people as the value of the certification in the IT world.

Everyone knows that an MCSE can become a MCDBA by passing one additional test. That cheapens the certification and I hope Microsoft ends that practice with the new requirements. By eliminating this loophole, the MCDBA will seem worth the cost to me.

• It depends. Yes, with the old MCDBA it was only 4 tests and there are many MCSE/MCDBAs out there.

For most companies that are Microsoft Partners it only requires a couple of people to be certified. I have been the only MCDBA in the company, and by far most of the companies use MCSEs for the requirement.

Passing seven tests does not move you into a DBA role. It may be used if you have the experience to give you more leverage to move into a DBA role. But the certifications alone will not do that. I don't know of any company that DBAs based on Microsoft tests.

Bonne Chance

Dr. Peter Venkman: Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Patrick

• I meant to say that I don't know of any company that hires a DBA using the Microsoft Certification as the main requirement.

Patrick

• I absolutely agree, the MCDBA should not be a main requirement. Certification is no substitute for experience. It provides external validation of skills and motivation. However, if someone within your company has been performing quasi-DBA job tasks, takes the initiative to become a MCDBA and then applies for a DBA position, I think the certification will factor into the hiring manager's decision.

When I think back to the days of the MCSE certification on Windows NT and the problem of the "paper MCSE", I can find a lot of similarities in the problems with the MCDBA today. Hopefully, Microsoft also sees these problems and will correct them with the new Yukon MCDBA requirements.

• Some bad news for current MCDBA: you will not upgrade by passing one or two exams anymore...

• Yes, that is bad news. Since I rarely worked on a data warehouse system having the Business Intelligence as a requirement could be a challenge.

But knowing Microsoft exams, they like to test you on the new stuff so the BI features will show up in the other exams any way.

Patrick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply