Yukon display questions

• 1.  Is there a way in Yukon to display the size of the datatype (varchar, char, ...) in the Table Designer?  I can only get the type displayed, not the size. 

2.  Is there an equivalent way to the old Enterprise Manager to open and display all rows of a table and then manually edit one entry by over-typing it?

Thanks.

• 1. The size is displayed in the column properties at the bottom of the table designer. I've looked in Options and there's no way (that I can see) of hiding the column properties so you should be able to see them.

2. No.

These answers apply to Beta2 by the way.

• I don't usually comment on something that is not finished, but surely for someone with the right permissions being able to do "point 2" is quite useful.

Obviously you would not want to change things like this in a production env., but as a developer doing UT it can be very useful.

Hopefully this will be in the actual release.

• If what you have said about question #2 is true, then I would not every be interested in using MS SQL ever again.  Although I have been using it for over 10 years, much of the reason I have leaned towards it since the 2000 release is the tools available with Enterprise Manager, especially the easy table designer.

If these features are missing, then I can only whole heartily recommend to all that they NOT use or practice with the application.  I own a medium size database consulting firm, and can say from my personal experience and preference that with such toolage missing, that work production speed and convenience would be seriously compromised, and that serious consideration would be given to ANY other product (i.e. ... DB2, ...) that would provide such tools.

It is sad to find out that Microsoft is messing up another good product.  They have made the latest release of Word 2003 almost unusable with the way it "thinks" for you, and does things without you having control over what or how it happens.  For this reason, none of my workstations that I set up have Word 2003 installed on it - all are running copies of 2000 still.

Is this going to be another example of a Microsoft product which determines what you need for you, and doesn't allow you any options?  I hope not, otherwise; this is a very sad moment for me as I must re-evaluate all my current projects, and most probably start planning on re-designs in an alternate database!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply