Your Tools

• I don't understand folks that limit their toolboxes. There's a smarm of OSS and low cost commercial tools for Windows and other OSes that are safe and very effective. And not to mention the internal tools that we build for ourselves. (And not all of us have the budget to afford MSDN on annual basis. More power to you if you do...)

• chrisn-585491 (2/25/2015)

I don't understand folks that limit their toolboxes...)

Limitations aren't always self-imposed 🙁

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• An IT worker is rarely granted such professionalism, and is expected to use (any old crap equipment and tools) to get the job done.

Alas, all organizations are different. Except in some technology focused companies, in my experience, IT staff are viewed more as mechanics, and less as professionals.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• Alvin Ramard (2/19/2015)

This editorial came on an interesting day.

A few hours ago I decided I need to get my hand on a cheaper option to Erwin or DB Artisan. I'm working as a contractor and the work at one client is getting to a point that it's getting harder to do a good job without better tools.

Any recommendations?

I have a very old ERwin license, so I use that, but I am looking for a cheaper alternative as well. Have not yet found one.

• Andrew..Peterson (3/9/2015)

Alvin Ramard (2/19/2015)

This editorial came on an interesting day.

A few hours ago I decided I need to get my hand on a cheaper option to Erwin or DB Artisan. I'm working as a contractor and the work at one client is getting to a point that it's getting harder to do a good job without better tools.

Any recommendations?

I have a very old ERwin license, so I use that, but I am looking for a cheaper alternative as well. Have not yet found one.

Andrew, let me know if you find anything you like. I'm still leaning towards dbForge Studio for SQL Server.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I wish that Microsoft would put a bit more development into the SSMS Database Diagrammer tool. It's OK, for basic modeling, but it's limitations quickly become apparent when it comes to producing presentation quality diagrams.

It would also be nice to include cross-database and non-key relationships. For now all tables must be contained in same database and all relationships in diagram must be enforced with an actual foreign key, which can mean mocking up tables and keys in a scratch database just for the purpose of documentation.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/9/2015)

I wish that Microsoft would put a bit more development into the SSMS Database Diagrammer tool. It's OK, for basic modeling, but it's limitations quickly become apparent when it comes to producing presentation quality diagrams.

It would also be nice to include cross-database and non-key relationships. For now all tables must be contained in same database and all relationships in diagram must be enforced with an actual foreign key, which can mean mocking up tables and keys in a scratch database just for the purpose of documentation.

I agree.

Also, I don't like the fact that any changes you make to a diagram will cause the change to be made to the database too.

The tool is virtually useless to me.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/9/2015)

Eric M Russell (3/9/2015)

I wish that Microsoft would put a bit more development into the SSMS Database Diagrammer tool.

I agree.

Also, I don't like the fact that any changes you make to a diagram will cause the change to be made to the database too.

Worse than useless.

I've lost count of how many times I have clicked on the diagram tool icon by accident. it is just a waste of space.

• Andrew..Peterson (3/9/2015)

Alvin Ramard (3/9/2015)

Eric M Russell (3/9/2015)

I wish that Microsoft would put a bit more development into the SSMS Database Diagrammer tool.

I agree.

Worse than useless.

I've lost count of how many times I have clicked on the diagram tool icon by accident. it is just a waste of space.

Yep. Me too. Waste of screen estate.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply