You Shouldn't Have Done That

• OFF TOPIC - woohoo, Steve got his picture fixed in the daily emails - no more FLAT-TOP. And, looking mighty tanned.....you go boy (as my daughters would say!!!!:cool:)

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Ross McMicken (9/1/2009)

PostXript (9/1/2009)

I totally agree, this was a few years back. In my current environment it's no longer possible for me to make these kind of mistakes.

Ross McMicken (9/1/2009)

PostXript (9/1/2009)

Oops... that closing sentence hurts... glad I'm not the only person who ever did that 😉

That's a major reason we don't allow scripts to be run against production unless the results have been tested by the end users in an acceptance system. Even simple Update table set flag = 1 require a change management documetn in our environment. To make it even more difficult to induce errors, the DBA's that execute the scripts have nothing to do with creating the scripts.

I forgot to mention that the folks who CAN make changes in production have to log in using a special ID that doesn't do any routine activites like email and has no authority in test or ddevelopment. That prevents the big oops that happens when you use an ID in the wrong environment. "Gee, I thought I was in test, not production"

That is a great idea -- I'm going to make a note of that for the future.

• Yes definitely a different id is a great idea. Some simple things we have done in our environment also is to set desktop to a bright neon red so that you know you are on production. Also another smart windows guy we have put some sound on it so that it gives a real loud nasty BEEP when person logs in so that everyone looks up and knows he is going on production to do something .These things are small but just help increase alertness and awareness in a stressful environment and avoid mistakes.

• With apologies to Billy Connelly...

"Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that who cares - you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!"

• A little (true) story for you.

I happen to be a first aider, and about a year ago, whilst out with my family, I encountered a two year old choking on a piece of apple he'd been munching on. His parents were understandably beginning to panic and, just before I could get to them, they resorted to the only remaining course of action they could think of - an approximation of abdominal thrusts. Although this isn't recommended for children, since adults can unwittingly exert a surprising amount of force, the blockage was dislodged, the kid had a quick whinge and then went and had a cuddle with his mum. Job done, and I didn't need to do a thing......

....Except that a bystander who hadn't raised a finger to help then started inhaling through pursed lips, shaking her head and expounded to the already shaken parents that "they shouldn't have done that". Not difficult to imagine the effect on the parents; from initial relief that their child was breathing again, they accelerated straight to utter panic that their little one was irreparably damaged. It took me about a quarter of an hour to (repeatedly) explain the whys and wherefores surrounding abdominal thrusts, to point out (repeatedly) that by getting their child breathing they'd saved his life and to generally calm them down. In fact, all they needed to do now was to have a doctor give their child a quick once-over and life would be back to normal again, but what that bystander did was about as counter productive as could be managed.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• You have the right document from MSDN, it clearly states the upgrade path from eval to Standard or Enterprise, even says Express can be upgraded.

I have done the upgrade from Eval to standard though I do not remember what the patch level was.

😀
    ACN is the world's largest direct seller of telecommunications and essential services.
    http://helpu.acndirect.com/
    ACN Digital Phone Service customers automatically enjoy unlimited calling to 60 landline
    destinations around the world, including India, Mexico and the UK!
    :hehe:

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply