You Can Telecommute

• brownhound (7/28/2011)

I get the "We don't have a policy on that."

I'm being a bit of a smart-aleck, but that does that mean there's no policy preventing telecommuting?

At my current job, I was told informally that I could (for special circumstances), but I can't do it all the time. "If you do it all the time, they [the company] want to know why they can't just ship your job to India." Yes, for real. Apparently it's okay for Indians to telecommute...just not me.

So, your boss is telling you that the only value you add over outsourcing is that you're physically present?

It might me time to dust off the old resume.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Ray Laubert (7/28/2011)

I telecommute 3-4 days a week. I havent taken a sick day in years. If I am not feeling well, I just work from home.

I think that might be a good way to introduce telecommuting - you can do it if you're not feeling well.

And if the number of sick days suddenly shoots up dramatically, then the deal is off.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Dalton Moore (7/28/2011)

This is how it is in my company. Since not everyone can telecommute, no once can. People need to realize that all jobs are not the same, both in mental requirements and physical requirements.

In my opinion, this is laziness or timidity on the part of management.

To the people that complain about telecommuting:

* Do they get time-and-a-half for working overtime? We don't.

* Do they get called at 3 AM? We do.

One of my favorite managerial lines ever was when a first-shifter was complaining that we were getting a differential for working second shift: "It's company policy, and it's none of your business!"

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Peter Maloof (8/19/2011)

At my current job, I was told informally that I could (for special circumstances), but I can't do it all the time. "If you do it all the time, they [the company] want to know why they can't just ship your job to India." Yes, for real. Apparently it's okay for Indians to telecommute...just not me.

So, your boss is telling you that the only value you add over outsourcing is that you're physically present?

It might me time to dust off the old resume.

That's one of the dumbest things. We almost never work physically with the servers, and often we end up working across help desk tickets, phone, etc. even in the office. Being physically present for a manager, to me, means that the manager has few skills for their job. Maybe their job should be shipped overseas and the local people work at home with a (cheaper) person overseeing their work.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/19/2011)

That's one of the dumbest things. We almost never work physically with the servers, and often we end up working across help desk tickets, phone, etc. even in the office.

Totally agree. We covered this pretty thoroughly in the Less Pay, More Convenience thread, so I won't re-hash it here.

Being physically present for a manager, to me, means that the manager has few skills for their job.

I think managers may be afraid of standing out by proposing an 'unusual' idea, or of being the one that 'failed' by having it blow up in their face.

I've yet to hear a good reason against telecommuting, except for employee abuse; and employees can abuse any privilege.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• I was working from home pretty much whenever I wanted to for 2 years till they hired a new manager and I was switched to this 'new manager'. From then on, I have to have a reason why I was working from home. Then I was told only upon urgent issues. I finally was able to convince my manager to let me work 1 Day a week from home due to convinence of some schedule pickup and drop off of after school things for my child. don't forget the company allow other poeple (I know of 2) that can work 4X a week from home, but my letter to the big boss of the company was never responded back when I requested for 2 Days a week from home. I was very disappointed. Company policy is not fair. The other person who is a developer got 2 kids, so do I. But one got the resposne and I didn't. Fair is not! I'm ok with one day a week from home (but is still not enough in my situation). In this economy, bosses do get meaner.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply