xp_sendmail: Could not resolve recipient

• Hi all!

We just moved to SQL2000.

Suddenly application using xp_sendmail stoped working - the error message we are getting :

'Server: Msg 18031, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

xp_sendmail: Could not resolve recipient'

We configured Outlook2000 on a server, we don't use distribution list, we looked thru suggested steps from Microsoft (kb.articles Q315886;Q311231 etc).

Also checked 'SQL Mail Resources Resource Center' right here, on sqlservercentral.com

Still can't even send e-mail to myself from QA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Can you send the email from Outlook on the server ok? Cannot resolve might mean it cant find the address list to check it, or it could be that there are two different names and it doesnt know which is correct.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Andy,

I was sending e-mail to myself with full e-mail address, so I know it is valid.

We are able to send e-mail from this server without using xp_sendmail, but our applications use this procedure and either we have to make it work or re-write a few applications( it would be a major headache)

Thanks, Eva

• Tried xp_stopmail/xp_startmail to see if anything changes? Do you get the same error when you try to test the mail from SQL agent? Using the same profile for SQL that you tested with in Outlook? Tried emailing logged in using whatever account SQL runs under?

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• quote:

Tried xp_stopmail/xp_startmail to see if anything changes?

Andy

OK, I'm back in business and we made it work!

After the weekend with rebooting all servers we finally got to the point when new error appeared - "xp_test_mapi_profile : failed with mail error 0x80040111"

I ran ( as Andy suggested) xp_stopmail and after that xp_startmail with specified user:

xp_startmail @user ='valid profile'.

It started without problems ( first, when I didn't specify user - it gave me the same error) and works now.

After that we went back and designated this specific profile as a "Default" and it supposed to work from now on.

Eva

• Thanks Eva, yes beleive me I have combed all the forum topics looking for answers. I have tried what has been recommended but I am still getting the same error message as listed previously. Is the error number error 0x80040111 being generated by SQL or is this a network error or better yet is an Exchange error? Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all and any help,

Christine

Aurora

• Christine,

Can you send your configuration including info about how your services are configured, what type of mail client (assuming Outlook), what version of Exchange, Version of SQL and Service Pack?

Are you able send mail from the Outlook client by logging into the server with the account that the services run under and sending an email in a standard fashion?

Are you getting any errors when you execute xp_startmail 'YourProfileHere'?

Sorry, more questions.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks for your help David,

Here's our set-up:

OS - Windows 2000 Server SP2

DBMS - SQL 2000 w/ SP2

Mail Client - Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711

Mail Service - Exchange 2000 w/SP2

I have followed the following rec's:

We have the same account with an exchange account.

Have that same account be a local admin on our SQL Server that will be using SQL Mail.

Have that same account run the services for BOTH MSSQL and the SQL Server Agent.

Outlook is installed on that server.

The profile works and we can send and receive mail (with Outlook program) while logged into the SQL Server with that same account.

Then hook that profile up in the properties of SQLMail.

And still I get the same error message:

"xp_test_mapi_profile : failed with mail error 0x80040111"

Also, I checked the error logs (sql) and 'see the server trying to start the mail session and failing with:

Error: 1073759806, Severity: 1, State: 0

Help me!!!!

Thanks for your time everyone,

Christine

Edited by - Christine Austin on 07/30/2002 06:50:03 AM

Edited by - Christine Austin on 07/30/2002 06:51:36 AM

Aurora

• Christine,

Most of the TechNet articles that I have seen about that error claim fix in SP2. Have you reinstalled the service pack yet to see if that clears your error?

Just a thought.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• FYI, I've found "fixes" listed in SP2 that still do not work. In particular:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308758

Judging by the list of bugs with SQL Mail, I'd say there are probably lots of bugs still left. Someone really screwed up big time here. I hope they fired "Shiloh"!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q300414&

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply