XP_Sendmail

• Hi Guys,

I hope for your help by my problem with xp_sendmail.

The enviroment:

SQL2000 with SP3a on windows2003 Enterprice Server, my SQL version is

Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)   Dec 17 2002 14:22:05   Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: )

MS Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821)

thats it.

Now the problem:

When I start a script to send a mail I get no response, jobs who run xp_sendmail hangs and when I use for example this,EXEC xp_sendmail @recipients = 'e446812',    @message = 'The master database is full.',   @subject = 'Master Database Status', then I get no message bach and the complete Query analyzer hangs. When I try to check e-mail support over enterprice manager (test operartor mail) the complete enterprice manager hangs too, in both I only can use "end process" in task manager and I have to kill the prozess in current activity.

When I try to restart the agent I can't start, there is an problem to connect to mapi32.dll, but when I restart the sql-server service too it works and I can send mails, then a couble of hours later we get a error message in SQL Server like this "Logs:Starting SQL Mail session...." and "Error: 1073759806, Severity: 1, State: 0".

When I get this errors, I'am not able to send mails anymore.

Please help.

Thanks

Michael

• http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315886&sd=tech

Q12: Why does SQL Mail stop responding (hang)?

A12: If SQL Mail hangs periodically, the most likely cause is the loss of a connection to the mail server. Experience shows that SQL Mail is more likely to stop responding when you use an Internet mail (POP3/SMTP) server, but it can also stop responding if a connection to an Exchange server fails.

What happens is that the mail client attempts to connect to the mail server. If the connection fails, a message from the mail client appears that requests user action as to whether to continue or cancel. The message does not appear on the server because SQL Mail is run from the SQL Server service. Because a message does not appear, no user action can occur and SQL Mail waits indefinitely. Even if you re-establish the network connection, SQL Mail does not automatically reset and retry. You must stop and restart the SQL Server service before you can begin sending messages again.

Another possible reason for SQL Mail to stop responding is a new Outlook security feature that warns when a non-Outlook application is sending e-mail. SQL Mail for SQL Server 6.5 and SQL Server 7.0 are such non-Outlook applications. If a security dialog box window appears when SQL Mail is sent, this has the same effect of making SQL Mail stop responding as if the connection to the mail server were lost.

• Hi Rafter,

but this is not the error, I have readed the same Q&A paper from Microsoft, but i get no message from the server also when i run it in application mode, the problem is to run it in application mode I have to restart the Service but when I restart the Service it works without errors.

I think the problem must be any other stuff.

Thanks Michael

• The symptoms sound identical to the Microsoft Q&A.

Are you using POP3/SMTP or Exchange in your mail profile?

• We use Exchange 2000, but when i open Outlook on the SQL 2000 Server Machine it works fine all the time.

Thanks

Michael

• If xp_sendmail encounters a timeout when connecting to Exchange, xp_sendmail is disabled until SQL Server is restarted.

Outlook may work fine, but once xp_sendmail has been disabled, SQL Server needs to be restarted.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Sorry, but there is nothing visible, i get no messages from the system, this affects from one minute to another.

Also the xp_start and stopmail who is used in sql7 is not working.

• HI i need to send a report with attachment daily or for perticular time is there any way

please help me if you know this (with sqlserver agentjob)

• Restart SQL Server services. I had the same issue after our Exchange servers were rebooted. xp_sendmail kept hanging. I restarted SQL Server and xp_sendmail worked.

• Question, you stated that you were running sp3. Why can't you upgrade to sp4? There were several fixes for xp_sendmail and your problem may be resolved by upgrading to sp4.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/888799

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Having issue when trying to run XP_sendmail in SQL Server 7.0 with an outlook 2003 client. Whenever I trun a test message it just hangs and hangs. Any ideas? Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply