WWBOD

• hnhaney2 (1/13/2012)

http://opensourceecology.org/

This is were I go to work.

That is amazingly cool.

• I've never got to my FU level, but I have there are more important things than trying to get it. At the start of 2010 I dropped to half-time at my paid job so I could do IT project work for charities. This split of work is something I really value, but unless I buy a ticket I'll never win the lottery to get my FU money.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I would get a nice watch and a top-end home audio system and give the rest to my kids.

• I hate to say this, but with FU $$ I would surely stop reading SQLServerCentral.com 😎

• I would Do the following things in this order:

Pay off my bills

Buy a house where there are nice dark skies

Set up trust funds/savings/investments for my family (kids and grandkids)

Build out a really nice observatory on my new property with the ability to do astrophotography.

Travel

Fund a couple of Startup companies that I've been working on with a buddy of mine

Go back to school

• andycao (1/13/2012)

I hate to say this, but with FU $$ I would surely stop reading SQLServerCentral.com 😎

LOL, I'm guessing you'd have more enjoyable things to do.:w00t:

• Erika and I talk about this pretty regularly. I really believe that the only purpose of working is to get enough money so that you don't have to work anymore. The sooner I can get there, the better, but I gotta have a plan for what happens after I get there, right?

I want a place on the beach, a place in a major metro area (Chicago, NYC, Paris, Rome, etc), and I want to keep learning. There's just so many things I'd love to learn more about - technology, art, architecture, photography, sculpture, psychology, you name it. I don't really feel a need to leave my mark on the world, but like the old Discovery Channel ad says, The World Is Just Awesome:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/world-is-just-awesome/[/url]

• Gerardo Galvan Castro (1/13/2012)

I would probably spend all the lottery money in my own real estate business, and make it grow and live out of its profits. I would keep working in my job (I love what I do) but probably hire someone to supervise the RE business.

A few things I want to do if money is not an obstacle:

- Build (from scratch) and operate a datacenter

- Build (from scratch) a 500+ CPUs Linux Supercomputer (just for the fun of building it)

- Travel around the world just switching planes at the airports without visiting the city (say Dallas-Miami-Paris-Tel Aviv-Delhi-Sydney-Tokyo-Los Angeles-Dallas, also just for the fun of it!!)

Regards,

Building a 500+ CPU Linux Supercomputer would be a fun thing to do. I wonder how much power that would take. Definitely would have to upgrade the home from 200 Amp service, I would think.

I have a DEC VAXStation II/GPX that I want to get up and running sometime. I would probably install BSD on it. At my age, why learn VMS when I know Unix?

• I'd quit my job and wouldn't work for an employer ever again. No commute, no parking garage, no ID badge, no "desk" (two-sided "cubicle" in a hallway, banquet table in the mail room, laptop on a shelf in the basement--these are all real "desks" I've had), no HR policies, no co-workers that everyone knows should be fired but never will be, no slow computers jam-packed with IT's mandatory nonsense, no high heels, no expensive cafeterias with lousy food...

There are so many indignities that employees put up with for a paycheck. Most of them are a failure of leadership. But they certainly are widespread.

I would spend less time programming, but I would still do it, because I love it. I'd write whatever programs I wanted, sell them whenever they're ready, and not worry about whether anyone would buy them because I'd write stuff that I want to use, so I would enjoy the result regardless.

I would spend more time volunteering at my kids' school, spend more time decorating my house and throwing out stuff we don't use, hire a cook and a gardener, and go on a cruise.

• Stephanie Giovannini (1/13/2012)

I'd quit my job and wouldn't work for an employer ever again. No commute, no parking garage, no ID badge, no "desk" (two-sided "cubicle" in a hallway, banquet table in the mail room, laptop on a shelf in the basement--these are all real "desks" I've had), no HR policies, no co-workers that everyone knows should be fired but never will be, no slow computers jam-packed with IT's mandatory nonsense, no high heels, no expensive cafeterias with lousy food...

There are so many indignities that employees put up with for a paycheck. Most of them are a failure of leadership. But they certainly are widespread.

When Jeremiah, Kendra, and I started Brent Ozar PLF, we wrote this giant manifesto in Google Docs that covered all the ways we wanted to be better than the employers we'd had. We ended up with something like 20 pages of this stuff. Boy, can I identify!

• The wife and I have discussed this on occasion and for starts we would help everyone out we currently know who is working their tail off to make ends meet. Then I would have to quit my job and work the farm and spend a lot more time riding our horses.

Always nice to contemplate but will probably never happen. :hehe:

• Quit working and start a mentoring project in the public schiools training young people for jobs in technology. Try to get large technology companies to partner with education to help train the next generation of technology workers.

And ride my bike alot.

• It would depend on how much.

If it was "enough I'd never have to work again", that's very different from "enough that not only do I not have to work, but I can afford minor luxuries too", which is again very different from "more money than I know what to do with and I don't ever need to worry about running out".

90% of lottery winners declare bankruptcy within 2 years, or something like that.

I like to work, so if it was enough for not having to work, or enough for a few minor luxuries without work, I'd still work. I'd use the winnings as a buffer for lean times and to get debt-free.

If it was at the top of the scale, like tens of millions or whatever, I'd donate a lot of it, invest and save enough of it to cover "insurance" type situations, and probably use the rest as working capital to start a business idea I have.

If it were virtually unlimited wealth (Rockefeller-family, et al), I don't know. It's not realistic to assess such a decision without access to data sources I'd only gain through that kind of vast fortune.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Stephanie Giovannini (1/13/2012)

I'd quit my job and wouldn't work for an employer ever again. No commute, no parking garage, no ID badge, no "desk" (two-sided "cubicle" in a hallway, banquet table in the mail room, laptop on a shelf in the basement--these are all real "desks" I've had), no HR policies, no co-workers that everyone knows should be fired but never will be, no slow computers jam-packed with IT's mandatory nonsense, no high heels, no expensive cafeterias with lousy food...

Yahoooooo! a person finally that tells it like it is! But be careful girl, some of the people on here would say you are being "negative" by speaking the plain truth. I'm not one of them though. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• After the obvious of sock some away for the future and the kids, pay everything off, etc., I have a few dreams I’d like to see to fruition.

I’d like to build a homeless shelter that would be ever so much more than a cot and soup kitchen. It would provide a place for people to regroup, learn skills, and take care of their health. It would also be an animal rescue. Rescued animals can be great for rescued humans, and vice versa.

I’d like to start a charter school. I’d like to get great environmental minds together to plan and build a self-sustaining small community. I have a bunch of websites I want to build.

I’d say return to school, but I think I’d rather keep learning stuff on my own. Maybe cooking school.

Then of course, there’s the world to see.

[font="Courier New"]Looking for a Deadlock Victim Support Group..[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply