Wrong distribution database set

• Trying to activate Replication on a new installed SQL Server, I don't know exactly which step has changed my distribution database, to point to another of my production databases.

Now, from SSMS, when I go to:

- Right Click on Replication > Publisher Properties
    Distributor: This server acts as its own distributor
    Distribution database: MasterD (this is one of my production databases, and this should be distribution, and not MasterdD)

- Right Click on Replication > Distributor Properties
    Error message: SQL Server is unable to complete the Distributor Properties.
    Could not refresh properties of this object from server. Check if this object still exists on the server.

I would like to set the distribution system db as Distribution database again, and quit MasterD.
    And fix the error when try to access to Distributor Properties.

All your help will be appreciate.
    Many thanks.

• pepes135 - Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:55 AM

Trying to activate Replication on a new installed SQL Server, I don't know exactly which step has changed my distribution database, to point to another of my production databases.

Now, from SSMS, when I go to:

- Right Click on Replication > Publisher Properties
    Distributor: This server acts as its own distributor
    Distribution database: MasterD (this is one of my production databases, and this should be distribution, and not MasterdD)

- Right Click on Replication > Distributor Properties
    Error message: SQL Server is unable to complete the Distributor Properties.
    Could not refresh properties of this object from server. Check if this object still exists on the server.

I would like to set the distribution system db as Distribution database again, and quit MasterD.
    And fix the error when try to access to Distributor Properties.

All your help will be appreciate.
    Many thanks.

Somewhere in the process you would have set this to be MasterdD. Since it's a new server and you are trying to set it up, just disable publishing and distribution.

Sue

• Hello Sue,

And many thanks for your quick reply!
    Yes, this is the task that I needed to achieve, the problem is when executing procedures to disable the distribution, like this one:

sp_dropdistributiondb @database='MasterD'

I got some errors, like Invalid object name (missing SPs), or invalid column name (missing columns in some tables)...
    This is because the MasterD database came from a SQL 2000 instance, and it keeps the obsolete replication objects from the 2000 version.
    But, step by step, creating the needed objects after each error message, finally I succeed to remove the distribution objects.
    And after that, I could enable the distribution again, this time setting the [distribution] system database as [Distribution database] 😉

Hope this helps anyone.
    Regards,

• pepes135 - Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:54 AM

Hello Sue,

And many thanks for your quick reply!
    Yes, this is the task that I needed to achieve, the problem is when executing procedures to disable the distribution, like this one:

sp_dropdistributiondb @database='MasterD'

I got some errors, like Invalid object name (missing SPs), or invalid column name (missing columns in some tables)...
    This is because the MasterD database came from a SQL 2000 instance, and it keeps the obsolete replication objects from the 2000 version.
    But, step by step, creating the needed objects after each error message, finally I succeed to remove the distribution objects.
    And after that, I could enable the distribution again, this time setting the [distribution] system database as [Distribution database] 😉

Hope this helps anyone.
    Regards,

Thanks for posting back. Restoring or migrating an existing distribution database is quite a bit different than activating replication on a new server 🙂
    You may have just been able to create a publication by the same name with whatever error or the name in the MSpublications table in the restored MasterD database.
    Then delete the publication and then disable replication.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply