Writing a software development Proposal.

• I need to write a Proposal to a client to develop a small software for them (up to 10K priced).

However, I cannot find an example or template for such purposes.

Can someone please help?

thank you

• All Google searches for 'How to write a software development proposal'

or 'Application Development proposal example' return only 100s of commercial offers , marketing 'Buy template' ,etc.

It is a small application (2 excel spreadsheets: 1st contains input data , 2nd builds a Geographical visualization of it (on map). PoweBI can be used, too. Later a database will be involved, and same functionality developed as 2 web-pages later on.

How long should my Proposal be? Does a strict order of sections matter?

• Write a section that identifies the purpose/problem this will solve. (Problem Overview)

Write a section on how the spreadsheets, etc, will solve the problems.  If you have additional advantages, such as how easy your methods will also support PowerBI and 2 web pages, then include those, as well. (Recommended Solution)

Write a more detailed functional section that explains the working parts in more detail. (Functional Description)

Write a section that explains the costs and ROI. (Costs and ROI).

Then, go back to the beginning and write a 3 or 4 sentence "Executive Summary" section that summarizes it all.

If there are any terms that need explaining (and remember your target audience), include a short glossary.

Add a table of contents right after the "Executive Summary" (easiest done if you use Word Headers in the rest of your document, which should usually be limited to 3 levels at least in the TOC).

And a cover page followed by a "Revision History" page or include the revision history at the bottom of the cover page.

Get someone to review the document well prior to you submitting it to the people that you ultimately want to see it and make a decision.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Another thing to add in to what Jeff said is if you are a contractor working on this, make sure to include your support costs for if/when the application fails.  For example, if the end user upgrades Excel, will your application continue to work?  What if they have an ancient version that they use (such as 2000), does your application support that?

As this is your first software development proposal, I would start by writing one following Jeff's advice and then save that somewhere.  Next, modify it to be as generic as possible so you can use it for a template in the future.

Last thing to remember with the cost of software is the cost of software support.  How long are you offering support for with the cost of the software?  Is support a paid service or is it included for the lifetime of the product?  I wouldn't include that in the software development proposal, but make sure to get it in writing so everyone is on the same page in terms of support.  May want to figure out payment terms too.  Is it payment on successful delivery of the tool or 10% up front or payment at each milestone?

Also, get as much communication related to the project in writing and get sign off on all documents from the stakeholders.

Most of my advice above is unrelated ot a software development proposal, but it is stuff you will want to keep in mind while developing it.  Also, make sure to get things "feature locked" prior to development starting.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Brian hit a nail on the head that I totally forgot about and that's to be sure you include what he said about support, what's supported or not, and that changes in-scope will require new pricing and that there is no guarantee.  You might want to check on other EULAs like the one Microsoft has for every one of their products that basically protects them for any and all ramifications of use, disuse, abuse, suitability, etc, etc, ad infinitum.  If you're going to consult, get a lawyer that's skilled in such things to help you.  Find a good set of EULAs, etc, and have the lawyer look them over.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• matilda wrote:

Thanks for helping with this case. Very helpful. I also have the same situation. I will try it soon.

Heh... I smell another spammer on the horizon.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

matilda wrote:

Thanks for helping with this case. Very helpful. I also have the same situation. I will try it soon.

Heh... I smell another spammer on the horizon.

yup it was 🙂

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

It is the process of conceiving, specifying, designing, programming, documenting, testing, and bug fixing involved in creating and maintaining applications, frameworks, or other software components.

At Brainmap Technology, we serve as a telecom service provider, helping businesses boost their communication and take it to a new level.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply