Wrap Columns in SSRS

• Hi all,

One of the questions I have been posed with a number of times, and what I haven't really attempted to do with some of our management reports, is to take a data set that has a large number of columns that would span very wide in a tablix, and have it wrap or be able to put a form in with the remaining data fields.

An example:

This is a small sample data set:

[server name] [server model] [description] [amount of ram] [number of CPUs] [CPU Model]

When the report initially loads, I want to see:

server name | description

Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

Server2 | Hosts DBA administration databases.

If I want to pull up the remaining data in an easy to review format, i would like to set up a toggle button to display something like this:

Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

Server Model: HP DL385 ...

Amount of RAM: 8 GB

Number of CPUs: 12

CPU Model: Intel Xeon ...

This sounds like something that should be relatively easy to figure out, but I can't seem to get it like that. Doing a drill down style report forces all columns to be added to the tablix, and they are just empty until drilled into, which is not the desired effect.

Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

• Take a look at this: http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1329, it may help.

• Thanks for the link. However, that reinforces what I'm not looking for.

From the drill down perspective, that works, but if I have a data set with 30 columns, then I don't necessarily want the columns to keep going out to the right.

In that example, the columns are always visible, but the data only populates on the drill down.

Steve

• Steve,

Apologies, I'm clearly missing something in your requirements.

From your description I understood that you wanted to display a header row one per server containing the name and a description then additional rows containing the attributes of that server - initially hidden but displayable via a toggle on the header row.

Yes? No? ...

• Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

I'd like to have one row per server, and toggle the details row(s); that is correct.

However, the only columns I really need viewable are the two I mention. Then I'd like the show/hide toggle to almost display a freely designed "form" instead of having the rest of the columns move out to the side.

Example:

Initial view:

Server Name | Description

+ Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

Drilled down view:

Server Name | Description

- Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

____Server Model: HP DL385 ...

____Amount of RAM: 8 GB

____Number of CPUs: 12

____CPU Model: Intel Xeon ...

The example cited gets me something like this:

Initial View:

Server Name | Description_______________________| Server Model | Amount of RAM | Number of CPUs | CPU Model

+ Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

Drilled down view:

Server Name | Description_____________________| Server Model | Amount of RAM | Number of CPUs | CPU Model

- Server1 | Hosts sharepoint application databases.

______________________________________________| HP DL385 ...| 8GB | 12 | Intel Xeon...

It's hard to get that to format, so please let me know if that makes more sense and if it is something that is doable.

Thanks!

Steve

• Instead of adding additional groups etc, just add a second row to the details line.

Set that second row to hidden with the Servername Textbox as the toggle. You just need to make sure you specify the hidden toggle for the row and not the entire details group.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks. I will give that a shot.

• S.K. (2/23/2010)

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

No problem. Seems that I wasn't clear enough in my comments.

I was trying to imply what Luke has now suggested. ie more than 1 additional detail rows.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply