Worlds Fastest Database??

• I've been attempting to get data out of Caché / Mumps for many years now. Typically I cannot get any data out during the day as it brings down the production systems. And I found its far better to simply pull the needed data out of Caché / Mumps and import it to another system (SQL Server) then do aggregations... As aggregations in Cache/Mumps are painfully slow.

When you go to the Caché website: http://www.intersystems.com/cache/index.html they claim to be the "World's Fastest Database".

How in the world can they make that claim? Can vendors just make a blanket statement like this without having to back it up? Or is Cache so infrequently used (healthcare seems tied to it) that nobody has challenged this claim?

• They can claim anything. You could dispute it, but they might be able to narrow the definition to back up their claim.

What's the worlds largest database? Disk size? Rows? Trans/sec? They all could be largest.

It's always amusing to me when I see claims. On a cleaner the other day is said "gets tile 20% cleaner" What the heck does that mean?:hehe:

• Cache is an "object database" (meaning dimensional/hierarchical, NOT relational). Probably gets away with it based on the fact that it's in its own class. Nothing else equivalent to compare it to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply