Working with People

• DBAs tend to have a certain personality type, one aspect of which is the need to know the correct answer to *every **single** thing*. This attribute makes for a good DBA. Closer to the business user, the solution set gets greyer and more loosely defined. The personality type of business users tends to be different, much more comfortable with loose definitions and low data coupling. Business users don't like to be told there is only one answer, because in their world it is not true. Like Steve said, there is an impendence mismatch. This mismatch is normal and baked into the cake. We all bring our strengths. Nobody should change their personalities or styles. However, merely knowing and acknowledging the differences can go a long way to helping to build patience and understanding.

roger.plowman (9/9/2015)

After all, garbage in, garbage out, right? And if your data is garbage, you're running a dump, not a database, and the application is just a garbage truck!

Extremely well said.

• I have Aspergers. I have had to learn to think about peoples motives and what will enable them to understand my point of view and to accept that even when they understand they might not agree or have different priorities. After nearly nearly 50 years on Planet Neuro typical I still find the natives a bit strange.

For someone naturally antisocial I've actually found agile ways of working to be a Godsend. This is because I can work through a problem with a small group where open and honest communication can take place. By having the facts laid out we can reach an equitable solution together that perhaps we wouldn't have come up with in isolation and that solution is a better balanced set of compromises. Of course I want a better database solution but because my team take the time to walk me through the solution I can accept that the compromise.

Avoidance of conflict is failure to resolve conflict.

In the linking article on the perils of high EQ the author mentions Narcissistic machevellian traits. I'd sooner deal with low EQ people than such a menace

• Maybe this is why I changed my signature to add a slogan from the local police -

"To serve and protect your data"

This way everyone knows who I am and what my job is! 😉

• DBAs vs Devs (or any Job Role A vs Job Role B) seems a little old, or rather it did before the last few years for cost job cutting. A lot of people are trying to protect their role yet I find the safest roles are those done by people collaborating.

There will always be obstructive people in any role but I always hope that when there is, that there are multiple performers of that role.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply